Auxillary PTO clutch question

Mathias NY

Well-known Member
I would like to find an auxillary clutch for the PTO on a tractor that does not have a live-PTO. Basically it would be a device that could be used to stop the PTO to an implement, without stopping the tractor, and start the tractor without starting the implement. Has anyone come accross a device like this? Where would I find one?

I am familiar with over-running clutches which will allow the tractor to stop, without stopping the implement, this is not the same thing.
 
Hmm... I'm actually looking for a device that would slip over the existing PTO shaft, so it could work on any tractor.
 
Not possible for less than the price of trading to an almost new tractor with live pto.
I don"t know why anybody rushes out to proudly purchase those N series Fords. Then discover they have no true drawbar, no remote hydraulics, a transmission driven pto and the desire to flip over onto the driver.
You could add an over-running pto one way clutch so the tractor doesn"t continue forward after you push the clutch while using a bushhog.
 
If you had access to a machine shop,there must be a way to make one. Just an overcenter clutch like a stationary engine that works with a seperate lever. You'd have to make it pretty thin to be able to slide it over your PTO and not have it sticking out the back too far. I don't know that there was ever anything mass produced. It would have to be custom built for each particular make and model tractor. What are you doing,running a haybine and want to shut it off on the headlands or something?
 
We aren't doing anything as glamourous as a haybine. My dad has an '81 John Deere 850 (21pto hp) with a 6' finish mower. The tractor is one of the last to have a single stage clutch. It can drive itself and power the mower just fine, but starting both at the same time is a struggle. Upgrading to a newer machine isn't really an option for financial reasons. He would like to be able to start the tractor moving before he turns the mower on.

We were thinking that, with all the vintage tractors being used as lawnmowers now, that such a device would be out there. It sounds like there isn't. I've done some looking at electric PTO clutches. Some of the commercial ones are heavy duty enough for this application, but I haven't priced them out to see if it would be cost effective. Thanks for the help.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top