Ballasting mf35 with bush hog

Jkb

New User
Hi, i have a mf35 with perkins 3 cyl diesel, currently installing an almost 1000lbs (400kg) bush hog/ rotary cutter... My question is do you need rear ballast with this attachment as previous owner has rear tyres filled to 75%- should i drain out this water? I'm thinking that the cutter should be ballast enough.
Also what about front ballast... i'm guessing it is only dicey with rear hitch raised so not that important?.
Tractor will only be used for mowing,
Any thoughts appreciated..

i would never drain the rears but thats just me i like the weight because i cut a lot of slops makes it more stable

The mower will apply less than 1/2 of its weight to the rear of the tractor when it is in operation. The rear wheels on the mower accept the
remaining weight. Ballast in the tires (might be water if you are located where it does not freeze) is useful for traction, but not useful for
wet conditions. When lifted, the mower will add more than its own weight to the rear tires and remove (substantial weight from the front
tires). If wet or sodden soil is to be expected, and not too steep of hills, I would remove the ballast. I would put weight on the front. Jim

You will not need rear ballast for mowing but 1,000 Lbs. is a lot of mower. Front weights will be needed unless ground is flat.

BTDT.

Dean

Thanks for replies, regarding question- pretty sure its water .
I have a pretty steep bank that i have to mow but going up the bank i' m thinking extra wieght in the rear
tyres would only make the front end lighter, besides i cant see how a tractor could flip backwards while a
bush hog or flail is on the ground behind, plz correct if wrong.
Thx

I would leave the ballast alone.
Ballast makes for a more stable, safer
tractor.
I have a Ford 3000 which is about the
same size and weight as your 35 and run
a heavy 6' Bush Hog brand rotary mower
behind it.
Mower is at least 1K lbs - more like
1200 I think.
It is a bit much for the tractor to heft
around but does okay.
I have rear wheel weights on my tractor.
I also added about 200 lbs of front
bumper weights which helps to keep my
front end down.
You wrote: "cant see how a tractor could
flip backwards while a bush hog or flail
is on the ground behind, plz correct if
wrong."
Do not be lulled into thinking a 3 point
implement of any type would stop a
tractor from going over backwards.
If the tractor reared up past it's
tipping point the top link would crush
like a wet noodle.

An implement can raise up and hinge towards the operator. I have caught the tail wheel assembly on thick vines and before they sever, while maneuvering, I saw that the mower can easily raise up enough to almost stand under it, with more to go. These are not wheelie bars, the connections all pivot.

Brush hogged a gazillion acres in WV with a MF 135. We had the rears ballasted with CaCl2, I would leave them unless you are making ruts in your lawn. The stability you gain is worth a lot. If it won't climb a hill, then it's too steep anyway.
We did not have any front weight other than a small bumper to protect the grill. It could have used some front weights, but we got by without them.

(quoted from post at 18:57:26 07/28/19) Hi, i have a mf35 with perkins 3 cyl diesel, currently installing an almost 1000lbs (400kg) bush hog/ rotary cutter... My question is do you need rear ballast with this attachment as previous owner has rear tyres filled to 75%- should i drain out this water? I'm thinking that the cutter should be ballast enough.
Also what about front ballast... i'm guessing it is only dicey with rear hitch raised so not that important?.
Tractor will only be used for mowing,
Any thoughts appreciated..

1000lbs is a lot for a mower. I d expect a 5 or 6 ft mower to be no more than 600 max. I used to work rigging machinery, and my experience is that people overestimate weight. I ve got a 5 ft heavy duty Bush Hog, and it weighs about 400lbs, maybe a bit less. I run this with a Kubota L3400, pretty similar to your machine. I think a 1000lbs would make the front end pretty light.

You are correct that it is hard to
guesstimate weight.
I looked up the spec sheet on my Bush
Hog model 406 and see I was off a bit.
I thought 1000-1200 lbs.
Spec sheet says just over 1500 lbs.
I know it's all my little 3000 wants to
carry.

cvphoto31445.png

cvphoto31446.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back