Barn Orientation Question to Wind

Bill VA

This question is a little different...

I get it, make your barn door openings to the east away from the winds.

But....

What about long vs short side against the prevailing winds?

Our pole barn will be drive through. Openings/doors will be on the short ends, so one opening is east, the other is west - looking right into the wind. I can turn my barn long side to the wind, but now have a big broad side facing the winds.

What are your thoughts on long vs short barn side to the wind?

Thanks!
Bill

My 60x88x16 sits on top of a gentle hill that dictated an east/west orientation. Doors on east and west ends to avoid problem of snow sliding off. When I get a good 30 mph wind out of the west I open both ends and let the dust blow out. Saves sweeping. (;>))

Up here in the frozen North, it is best to be North/South with the ridge. Prevailing winds after a snow storm are out of the NNW. An East/West building ridge will load up with snow on the south side.

I would guess that is not an issue in VA.

I would orient it without much consideration for wind. The structure won't care if it's properly braced. Bigger concerns are proper drainage around the building and making your approaches to the building convenient. Good overhead doors aren't bothered by the wind, but if you go with sliders that might be an issue. If you want a big slider, put that door in the leeward end and put a smaller overhead door in the windward end. One advantage of orienting the ends with the prevailing winds is you can use the breeze to cool the building in the summer.

My newest pole shed is open on the north side. Not really what I wanted, but that was the only way it would fit and be easily accesible. So far, after 2 years, it is working just fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back