I'm giving up on starting a tractor due to the low compression and am about to start tearing it down. It sat for 5-10 years outside without any diesel preservative. It's not my tractor and I'm trying to repair it as a volunteer, with only my funds.
Relpacing the lift pump, fuel filter, and rebuilding the CAV have resulted in 200psi compression and no life (just smoke out the exhaust). It did start once, but I made the mistake of turning it off almost immediately.
Starting with the simplest question, is SN LF22312U781251H a good number for a 4.248? There's a right side number of NW37113010-7 followed by D1 7 EC.
Next dumbest question is why is there no "inspection hole" for the flywheel timing? Unless it's hidden by the starter, I haven't been able to locate it. I rebuilt the CAV, but marked everything carefully, so I haven't really needed the timing mark yet.
Slightly more complicated, if I take off the head and oil pan, what do I find? Will the sleeves come out while in the tractor or does it need to go to a machine shop?
I've rebuilt one engine in my life (45 years ago, and that was an exotic Maserati, so I'm mostly a rookie). It's either that or sell it for parts.
Relpacing the lift pump, fuel filter, and rebuilding the CAV have resulted in 200psi compression and no life (just smoke out the exhaust). It did start once, but I made the mistake of turning it off almost immediately.
Starting with the simplest question, is SN LF22312U781251H a good number for a 4.248? There's a right side number of NW37113010-7 followed by D1 7 EC.
Next dumbest question is why is there no "inspection hole" for the flywheel timing? Unless it's hidden by the starter, I haven't been able to locate it. I rebuilt the CAV, but marked everything carefully, so I haven't really needed the timing mark yet.
Slightly more complicated, if I take off the head and oil pan, what do I find? Will the sleeves come out while in the tractor or does it need to go to a machine shop?
I've rebuilt one engine in my life (45 years ago, and that was an exotic Maserati, so I'm mostly a rookie). It's either that or sell it for parts.