Bob Bancroft

I've replaced two batteries so far this spring.
My old IH gas dump truck usually sits for long periods of time. But I had been using it lately. I was surprised when it was totally dead. Not a click, nothing! I needed to move it, so hooked up the charger. The needle on the charger didn't even wiggle. I left, called and ordered a new battery. Being 6 years old and that dead I figured it didn't have much of a future. When I returned the needle had come up a little. With high boost I got the truck running.
My CaseIH 5230 tractor, with Case/Cummins 5.9 has a battery box big enough for two, but starts easily with one group 31 battery. It's been getting sluggish. Upon checking, it was well corroded, and 12 years old, so I replaced it. It also had been drained once, years ago, thanks to the incompetence of the auto steer installer from the local CaseIH dealer.
Maybe I was too hasty in replacing the truck battery?

Could have just been bad connection to charger hard to tell with a battery about all you can do is try it see if it actually woke up. I had some the other day had been sitting for about 3 years. Was trickle charging them back to life. Only got to about half the labeled ccas and stopped increasing after about 3 weeks. One battery at the end had begun to leak. Tested it found the other battery to be good this one must have drained and froze. Bought one battery. Put it in with the old “good” one. No start. Hmm tested it everything seemed fine. All everywhere were new 3 years ago when they started restoring it. As were both the batteries. Cleaned all the cable ends still nothing. Went to town the second time bought the second battery cranked over beautifully. Sometimes it just doesn’t make sense.

In your case keep them around and trickle charge them up use them for something they are handy

I've replaced two batteries so far this spring.
My old IH gas dump truck usually sits for long periods of time. But I had been using it lately. I was surprised when it was totally dead. Not a click, nothing! I needed to move it, so hooked up the charger. The needle on the charger didn't even wiggle. I left, called and ordered a new battery. Being 6 years old and that dead I figured it didn't have much of a future. When I returned the needle had come up a little. With high boost I got the truck running.
My CaseIH 5230 tractor, with Case/Cummins 5.9 has a battery box big enough for two, but starts easily with one group 31 battery. It's been getting sluggish. Upon checking, it was well corroded, and 12 years old, so I replaced it. It also had been drained once, years ago, thanks to the incompetence of the auto steer installer from the local CaseIH dealer.
Maybe I was too hasty in replacing the truck battery?
Hydrogen peroxide.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back