Be it ever so humble....

kcm.MN

Well-known Member
Location
NW Minnesota
Puzzle: https://jigex.com/TP8T

mvphoto67866.jpg
 
Windy? A relative of mine has a house
that used to have a gambrel roof third
story. They took the third story off and
put a gable roof on because the wind
pushed it too much.
 


I have been gradually plumbing up my 200 year old barn. After awhile I could take up a little more only with some help from a northeast storm.
 
I know what you mean. There's one old barn left here, which was apparently built before hay forks/track, because some upper connecting beams had been cut out. By the time I got the place, the barn was really spread at the eaves. I put some rods through and pulled it back together, but only so much at a time. I'd pull as much as I could, leave it for a while, then pull some more.

The whole, long, east side of the barn had settled. Prior owners had built little piers under the center of east/west connecting beams in an attempt to hold it up. The beams had bent down under the stress. I jacked up, and blocked up the east side, and removed the piers. Over time, the beams settled right back down straight!
 
I know of 2 barns that lean like that and had poles holding it up.
One is gone now.
Have not been by the other one lately.
Richard in NW SC
 
one my old barns just came down last week, all siding boards and most of beams were salvaged. foundation we
found twelve drawn out so presume went up in 1912?. i spent everyday just about in that barn doing chores,but
it got to far gone and i now inherited that piece land so i cleaned it up. going to have some of the beams
ripped into boards with a woodmizer unit this summer
 
That would make a lovely work shop / house / usable building if there were other land uses and supplies [ towns] near with in reasonable
walking or driving distance. Maybe it could be "bought for a song" land and all.
 
O'Mara's built barns, Stokes' built sheds. Statement made by a certain gentleman a few years ago.Wonder how many timbers going cross the end? Mortise an tenoned?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top