Being Tested for Eye Glasses

John B.

Of course the post below on Bifocals has prompted me to post this. I've been wanting to post this for a while anyway.

I think the one test they do at the eye doctor is so obsolete. It's the one where you sit down and the nurse sits across from you and tells you to stare at her nose so she can mark the lenses where your bifocal should be located in the lense. This is all based on how tall or short the nurse or patient ratio is. A taller nurse will cause your bifocal to be higher on the lense as opposed to a shorter nurse. They use a machine to measure the distance between your two pupils so why not have a machine to measure for the position of the bifocal area?? I found my bifocals were too low so the next time I got new glasses the nurse said to look at the tip of her nose, so I stared at her forehead. This raised the bifocal in the lense and it made a big difference since most of my work is close up. I don't need to tilt my had back to focus now. Tricks of the trade I guess you can call it. I am going to mention this to the staff next month when I get my annual checkup.

I guess I was lucky, I used to have a fairly tall guy fit my glasses at work! I don't remember the last fitting, but they work fine. I used to say when I have to tip my head back to read the size on a small drill bit it's time for new glasses! When I was about 50 my eyes were changing fast, now not so much.

Got new glasses last month. Had to have the lens remade as the bi-focal was set so I had to hold a book or the computer close to read anything. When I complained he said industry standard was 40cm. Had them move the chart to 50 cm and am happy with that. If they would tell a guy what they are checking I would think it would save mistakes. Also have had laser surgery on one eye and they check both eyes at the same time. I told him to check both and then each one alone to check for clarity on each eye.

Knew a man who said his uncle was a carpenter, and he had the bifocals installed on the TOP of the lens, so he could see work up high. Made sense to me.

I got new glasses last year, progression was supposed to be the same as the last pair that I got, but it isn't the same. No matter right now, chemo has changed my eyes so much I'm back to wearing my old glasses.

We may have the same eye doctor / nurse/ technician; I stared at that cute little one so long it burned my cattaracs

I too had that double bifocal on a pair of glasses for the same reason....had to get special permission for that (company safety glasses). I found that a better solution was 2 pair of glasses; one with normal bifocals and a second pair consisting of the bifocal prescription for overhead work....like a separate pair for computer or reading usage.

One of my wife's brothers did that when he worked in an auto dealership. Made it easy to work under a car on a hoist.

My wife just had cataract surgery and she can see now. I had a hard time convincing her that she needed it because the optometrist kept telling her she didn't need surgery. He obviously didn't want to give up the $400-$500 he was charging her for glasses that she couldn't see through.

when I had my bifocals made, I could only get a certain percentage of the glass ground for the bifocal. I wanted the lens to go all the way to the edge of the lens, but they wouldn't do that, so I got them to make as wide a bifocal area as I could get.

The Doctor asked me where I wanted reading distance set, and we finally agreed on a comfortable distance, I forget what the distance was, but its about 18".

Way back when, I worked in a laboratory and some of the work involved burettes, and with bifocals you would break your neck looking up at the top of the burette to bring the meniscus to the zero line, and so some of the guys had their glasses made as trifocals with reading lenses top and bottom.

Hello John B

2.54cm = 1 inch so, 40cm is 15.75 inches, just about paper reading distace,

Guido.

I was being fitted for a pair of Progressives and I told them the reader part was too low. She set my glasses on a guide sheet, and said that they were not made right, my prescription was completely off of the page. You should have seen her face when I told her she fitted the pair in her hands, three years before.

John, They have machines for that purpose, but they are kind of spendy. The little rulers we use for measuring seg heights are free. Just make sure that your face is parallel to the person's face who is measuring, and you should get a good result. I guarantee a perfect fit at my office if you feel like driving to Sikeston Missouri.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back