I agree with Ultradog. More specifically, it looks like an S-O-S transmission from a 3 cylinder thousand series... with the dual speed & ground speed PTO. The blue lever just to the left of the center of the picture is the selector for 540 vs. 1000 rpm, and the blue lever near the right side of the picture is the lever to select ground speed.

This post was edited by Sean in PA on 09/30/2022 at 04:08 am.

(quoted from post at 03:01:54 09/30/22) 8N??
Looks like one for a 3 cylinder.
Is the deluxe model too.
f the input shaft is good that would be a
great price.

Adds a new dimension to the words, "Funk Conversion."

It has been my observation that if it has two speed PTO then it also will have ground speed. That said, both options were rare.

4 speed PTO was standard on the 6000 (extremely handy!), however ground speed was not. In fact, the rework instructions for the 6000s instructed whoever was doing the updates to remove the ground speed feature during the transmission rebuild, which makes me think it was not available after that from the factory.

And then they have mis stamped models?
42024E
The 4E says independent pto/SOS
But in fact this tractor had 2 sp/GD pto
So it should have been stamped 42026E

cvphoto137094.jpg

From the casting code starting with C7NN on that one in the craigslist posting, the casting was designed in 1967, but the casting date code, 2M1B says this it was actually cast on December 1 1972, so it was likely installed in a very late 1972 or early 1973 tractor. Hopefully someone with an 8N doesn't mistakenly purchase it.

(quoted from post at 08:55:58 10/01/22) Or, someone added those PTO options after it left the factory. The cases were all drilled for the options at the time of production.

Or it could have been a used trans that was swapped into a tractor that had those options originally and they moved the parts over to the replacement trans.

Of the two, I'm putting my money on mis stamped at the factory.
Any news for us on it?
Maybe the brown isn't evidence of sand blasting but is 50 yo original primer.
If the dealer ordered a replacement in 1969 what color would it have come?

I agree, it's more likely a mis-stamp than a conversion.

Haven't heard back yet on my buyer's request. It appears from the map dot to be owned by a local municipality, so I'll wait until tomorrow before I try again.

Hard to say whether that's primer or bare metal. I'm still leaning towards sandblasting because I've never seen a casting lose all of its original clothes like that before just from sitting out in the weather. I hope to get my eyeballs on it soon.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back