Best choice for Pertronix conversions

Ron Tron

I recently purchased my second 9N. Actually a few years ago. I immediately converted it to 12volt with a Pertronix unit. After burning up several square can coils I got frustrated and bought a complete distributor system with the old fashion points and condenser. It ran about two months and then it took a crap. No spark. After checking I could only guess that it had to be the square can coil again so I bought the parts to convert distributor I had with the pertronix unit in it to a automotive style coil. When I went to fire it up it didn't hesitate a second. In fact it started without even turning over, just vroooom on hitting the starter button.
Apparently there is a difference in the new Pertronix modules as compared to then one I bought for my other 9N 10 or so years ago. Because I have only replaced that square can coil once.

So my advice to everyone is to convert to the automotive style coil if you want trouble free ignition. The tractor runs much stronger and starts immediately every time.

Just sharing to hopefully save someone from the grief I went through.

Ron Tron , I agree with you replace the square coil wtih a round automotive type coil.Like a 12 volt Napa#1c14SB.

This post was edited by Den N Ms on 10/01/2022 at 04:52 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back