Best older JD for 3 point snow blowing

chas036

I have been looking for an older JD that I can use to run a 6ft three point snow blower. I already have a 730 gas, 620 , and B, and all have to high reverse speeds for a snow blower. I have been looking at the different 4 cyl JDs and I have narrowed it down to the 2020 since it has a reverse speed of 1.7 plus looks to have sufficient HP to run a blower. I would like to know if the 2020 is a good quality tractor, and if not, a recommendation for better tractor. I don't want to spend more than $5000.

Brother-in-law's Dad bought a brand new 2020 and matching loader in mid-1960's, dedicated loader tractor on a hog farm before skid steer loaders became popular. Only 160 acre farm but lots of hogs. Guy was really careful with his equipment. The 2020 still runs, clears a little snow every winter. Paint is faded but original. Last time I saw it run was almost 40 years ago when I loaded the racks baling straw with the 2020 running the NH baler.
Only gripe I have with Deere utility tractors, and even their Quad-Range big ag tractors is you end up shifting two levers constantly every shift. But a 2020 should run a small pto snow blower O-K.

(quoted from post at 09:07:38 11/30/17)
Only gripe I have with Deere utility tractors, and even their Quad-Range big ag tractors is you end up shifting two levers constantly every shift.

Please explain why one needs to shift 2 gear levers when going from fwd to rev or vice-versa when moving one lever will accomplish the shift?

A 2020 would run a 6 foot snow blower fine. We have a 1020 gas that ran a 6 foot blower one storm last year without problems. Was a light storm with dry snow though. I think a heavy wet snow it would have been too much. Reverse is slow enough and with the 2 stage clutch and live PTO it was easy to stop and clear out if you took too big of a bite.

Our 1010 gas runs a 54" blower and that is geared faster than my liking in reverse and does not have the live pto. Having to stop and put it in neutral is a pain to clear out the blower.

I have been looking for a 2020 diesel with live pto and rear hydraulics in my area to add to our line up. Like was said maintenance is a key though in them being a good tractor.

I have run a 6 footer on a Deere 300 (same as a green 1020). Also on my IH B275. Works fine on either except for some of the deepest super-wet snow.

I'm betting they were wanting to go fast forward like 5th or 6th gear and then to reverse the fastest is only 4th. ?? So they didn't want to back up slow in 1st or 2nd gear. That's my guess.

1 thru 4 on one stick, hi, low, rev on the other. Landlord had a 2640 I had to clear snow with two winters. I learned to really not care for that tractor.

BTO I worked for in HS had a Case 420 Construction King loader tractor, dry clutch with 4-speed and shuttle shift. Then the Township I worked for 2 years had a Case 530 CK TLB, torque converter and shuttle shift. Either Case was a better loader tractor than a Dubuque Deere.

I have two that I use often. Deere 300 and Deere 300B. One has a reverser and one does not. Regardless, if I want to shuttle back and forth - I do it with one stick. Low range to reverse. Granted, much nicer using the hydraulic reverser when equpped with one.

For a lot of back and forth I think a 3020 powershift would be ideal. Might need to splurge a bit because cost on those would likely be more than your 5k budget, but you could get either a row crop or even utility if you'd rather have something low profile. Then you'd at least have a waterloo built tractor.

You are comparing Apple's to oranges.....compare either of those two Cases which are good tractors, to their industrial Deere counterpart, and your song may well be different....

Ben

I would take a Case CK loader/back hoe tractor over any other manufacturer including comparable tractors John Deere builds and I've made a living using these tractors for over forty years and have operated them all.

Don't know where you are located but we will be putting our 3020 gas on auction in April of 2017. Dad used it for blowing snow & it worked good with a 6ft Farm King blower behind it. I'll be happy if we get 6k for the combo. The tractor is a '64 with powershift & we never had issues with the tranny. Only thing I need to fix is either repair or replace the park cable & if that don't get fixed/replaced I'm afraid we'll take a bath on it. The auction will be in Northwest Wis this April.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back