Best source for graded corn seed?

NY 986

Helping a friend out. He has bought a plate planter (JD 494A) for his acreage in the Southern Tier here in NY. He wants to do the best job possible in planting 30-40 acres of corn where his country property is. No help nearby in terms of arranging for use of a plateless planter and he is not one to want to have outsiders coming in. It seems that most of the high profile seed companies put much effort in to grading for plate type planters. Getting him to buy something like a Cyclo or AC Air Champ won't happen never mind spending more money on something like a JD 7000 or White 5100. On the positive side the ground rolls gently and is fairly loamy so the back press wheel will close the seed trench and keep the depth reasonable.

You should be able to get graded seed from the corn companies, its usually a few dollars per bag more. If not, most seed is still graded somewhat for size, that is large medium or small...if you have several plates, select the most appropriate plate for the size of the seed by manually fitting the seed into the slot...not so small to let 2 seeds in per slot, and definitely avoid a plate slot size that is just a bit too small....a seed will get stuck in the slot and result in a lower population and uneven stand.

Ben

True, but I have heard the comment made that the companies don't do a first rate job anymore in terms of seed size grading. A bag could be labeled for a certain plate size and still have inconsistencies. Maybe after one go around maybe he will figure he can justify the money for a good plateless planter.

Have you ever checked to see if the seed will fit you'r plate or plates,on a plate planter, it's pretty easy to do!

For a plate planter you want to run a Medium Round seed. That will get you the best results. That?s what I run through my Oliver 540 and it will hold it?s own. There is no such thing as a plate graded seed anymore, only size graded ie. LR, LF, MR, MF. And run a graphite seed lubricant. Talc doesn?t do much for a plate planter.

I have a stack of plates in the shop from when I used a 494A planter, if your friend needs different sizes than what he has. medium rounds are my preferred grade, too. more forgiving in the plate sizing than flats.

Wouldn't really sweat it too much. have been using a 495A for many years and never bought graded seed. Always had a decent well spaced stand whether I used some triple stack from a dealer or the cheap stuff from Fleet Farm.

I just ordered medium flat RR 96 day seed for this coming year,. I use it in my 242 steel wheel 2 row IH planter which takes the standard IH plates 250 a bag. LG seed company, they brought out Great Lakes Hybrid which is where I have ordered my seed from for years. LG2475 RR and got 18 bucks a bag off by buying by the end of the year.

I-H and JD plates are still easy to get. I have allot of I-H plates so I just match one up to the seed I get that year. Great Lakes use to even have a recommended plate on the chart on the back of the bag for JD and IH planters. LG seed I had last year didn't have anything on the bag for plate planters but not hard to match a plate with the seed. I always have a decent stand of corn, not as precise as the neighbors new kinzie or the others neighbors new JD planter but works good for me and my small acreage and only paid 100 bucks for the planter 30 years ago.

Being your in southern NY, you might check out Local Seed Co.. Part of it is the old T.A.Seeds co. out of Jersey Shore/Avis Pa.(2 years ago T.A. merged/got bought up by an outfit from Memphis,TN. so changed the name of both to Local Seed co.) They always seemed to size seed a little bit better than the big guys do. Website is www.localseed.com if you want to look around. No connection to them other than buying some seed and getting a tour of the place when the merger happened. Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back