Best tractor tires for lots of road use....??

56oliver

I have a 70hp deutz that I use to feed down the road from the farm so it spends lots of time on the black top. Probably 50% of its time is on the road. It has some old Goodyear tires on it now. The ones with the full bar half bar design that are almost bald. I'm curious as to what you guys thing I should replace them with? Maybe something that has fatter bars wouldn't wear as quick? What do you all run on the road and have good luck with. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys...

Construction equipment tires have more rubber on the road than Ag tires bu more than 50 %. If traction and operation while feeding is no issue, I would
recommend those. Jim

Depends how much traction you need,
construction tires like loader backhoe
would wear better and have moderate
traction. A turf type tire would wear
even better but less traction in mud and
field work.

I like the "heavy" wider/thicker farm lug tread. It puts more "rubber on the road" and they seem to wear better. Appear to still have good traction. Go to the next size larger if you can and the additional Liquid Ballast will help traction. Just one approach.

outside of cost the Michelins will last a long time on the highway and there are no traction issues but man are they pricey

We have one tractor that tends to make the most trips to our local grain elevators in the fall, pulling 700 to 900 bushels of grain with each trip. This tractor also is hooked up to the planter in the spring and on the stalk chopper in the fall. I have seen Good Year Dyna Torq II radials on a tractor of ours and they lasted a long time. I have seen the Firestone 23 degree radials on a similar model and size tractor and they wore rapidly on the road. I think they are a great tire in the field, but from what I have been told by independent tire dealers, the flatter the angle on the lug, the more rapidly they will wear. The Firestone tires were about 80 percent worn out in a matter of 700 hours on the tractor. I replaced those Firestone tires with the Michelin radial tires, which I believe the model tire is the AgriBib. I asked questions at farm shows about tractor tires and longevity in road use. This was the tire consistently recommended to me by every independent tire dealer I talked with. I currently believe we have a little over 200 hours on the tractor since the tires were installed and they look good so far, as compared to the Firestone tires showing wear the very first year when hauling grain. You can ask me what I think of these Michelin tires in a couple more years when we get some more road time on the tread. I will add the comment made to me by one of the tire dealers I talked with. He had indicated the Michelin tires are a common brand in Europe, where tractors spend more time on the road, as compared to here in the United States.

we found the Firestones to be the best wearing, dollars per mm of tread depth. Michlins or Keibers run 2nd only because of the high cost of the tire. Remember if they are mounted tube type you need to run Michlin or Kleiber tubes in them.

CONTINENTAL wear excellent on blacktop. I have some Continental radials on my JD 4255 that have been many,many miles on blacktop with no visible wear pattern on the cleats.

(quoted from post at 10:07:47 11/21/16) I have a 70hp deutz that I use to feed down the road from the farm so it spends lots of time on the black top. Probably 50% of its time is on the road. It has some old Goodyear tires on it now. The ones with the full bar half bar design that are almost bald. I'm curious as to what you guys thing I should replace them with? Maybe something that has fatter bars wouldn't wear as quick? What do you all run on the road and have good luck with. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys...

R4 industrial

Well if that's what you need then you may be stuck with ag tires, radials do wear better than bias ply but cost more too

Find one with all long bars and as many lugs as you can get, those darn long bar short bar are about as worthless as
they come, not even great traction in the field and wear down fast. Most name brands are good.

I will second those Michelin agribibs. We have one tractor that has many trips with 900 bushel loads to the elevator and those tires wear like
iron.

in the olden days; we swapped tires from side to side, so thread ran backwards. i don't know if that was a wifes tale or not. on the big
tractorcade to DC over half the guys had tires swapped

Someone on the site posted that the school or 4H club was restoring a tractor
A tire company sponsers these projects
The reason I mention this s the tires they showed looked like a typical AG tire
in a V pattern but had a centre rib that went around the center of the tire like
the center rib of a 3 rib front tire
When I saw that pic my 1st thought was they would make a good rd tire and be mud
usable
But can't remember which company made them
Other than that I'm running goodyear industrial tire for TBL's on 2 tractors on
gravel rds that have been good for wear and work ok in muddier use but not as
good as AG ones
I add chains for winter use

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back