bi-di good for small acreage ?

FallsCity

New User
Heya,
40 acres of rec land. Interior slopes with 1 acre pond and creek running down center, which is woodland and grass buffered up to the crop fields. Not farming, fields cash rented. As trees fall, need to saw up and move them, wide grass buffers to mow, not brush hog, perhaps need post hole auger or pounder, pull some small end wheel drills and such if to reseed, maybe a towed small sprayer. I keep thinking my main focus is having a loader asist in my vision, as lifting crap over 80 pounds is better done by machine, not me.
I have used Farmall letter series with loaders, but want to resist temptation to keep doing that as I have seen those Versatile and Ford bi-directional tractors with loader and pto. And i wonder. Could it do the above tasks? What are your thoughts on small rec acreage playing around regarding selecting a machine? Will have some Farmalls around, so not looking for a single machine solution, but more peoples experience in tasking a bi- directional with the above mentioned work.

You are better off with a real tractor. With the loader on they are long. Some people love them other hate them. Was at a doctors office once, he noticed where I worked and asked what I thought about the bi
di. I had nothing good to say, when I was done he agreed, as he also owned one. Best to buy new, then trade once you start having problems.

I've never had one but would think they
would be made for just that work, but over
kill for most of what you need. Most I've
talked to that have one like them fine when
used as intended. Some tried tillage work
and the hydrostatic drive is not well
suited for that. The older ones were a bit
short on hp for some large farm jobs, but
would be fine for what you ask. They have
been making them for many years so they
must do well for some.

(quoted from post at 11:29:24 08/11/22) I've never had one but would think they
would be made for just that work, but over
kill for most of what you need. Most I've
talked to that have one like them fine when
used as intended. Some tried tillage work
and the hydrostatic drive is not well
suited for that. The older ones were a bit
short on hp for some large farm jobs, but
would be fine for what you ask. They have
been making them for many years so they
must do well for some.

''They have been making them for many years so they
must do well for some.''

Actually, they QUIT making them a few years ago, AFAIK, the last iteration was the ''TV9070'' which ended production around

I could be wrong, though, bu I don't remember a model after that.

I would be GREAT if you could find someone with one that you could test drive/operate and make your decision.

I've driven several and thought they were GREAT.

My only complaint (and this was with the older models) is that I'm a big guy with big feet and it's not real easy for me to get in and around the rotatable seat, it's a cramped space.

Would especially be a consideration for work that requires getting in and out of the cab a lot, something to check out for yourself, for sure!

well i have never operated one but have seen them. great for loader work and yard stuff. but as a field machine for actual field work
probably not. neighbor had one and he did not keep it long as as field tractor. they are operated by a hydraulic pump. like the versatile
swathers. i sure would take one for round bale moving.

There was a lot of them around here and I
have been told by the guys that still have
them that parts are hard to get and that
was before the current situation.

What you really should be looking for is a Tri-Directional. Especially for those small, hard-to-get-at fields.

I've said many times, without good dealer support, RUN FOREST, RUN.

The same can be said about cordless tools.
Parts are not available for some cheap tools..
Or the replacing high voltage batteries is
too costly..

They were discontinued at the transition to tier IV
emissions. Just not enough demand for the expense to
redesign.

Ive run one. Makes a fairly handy loader and can do
other tasks. Downside is you have to dismount the loader
to use the rear 3pt and PTO. Most users are better off
with a fwa tractor with loader.

Have a NH TV 140. Couldn't turn it around on my West Virginia farm. Not good on slopes or narrow places. Too high & unstable. Great for my 240 ac. Tennessee farm that's
nearly flat.

I think it's overkill and unnecessary complexity for your needs. The gimmicky nature of the tractor is tickling your fancy, but it's really not what you need.

A conventional tractor in the 50HP range with MFWD, loader, and 3pt would serve you much better. Something at the high end of the 3 series or any of the 4 series Deere compacts. I am NOT saying buy a new tractor. I am saying look for something in that size and weight range.

There are a whole lot more of them out there than bi-directionals. Certain types of farmers will climb over one another to snatch up a bi-directional that comes up for sale. They bring a premium price if they're any good, even more premium than the prices are right now.

My brother has a bi directional. He says it is the handiest tractor he has ever had. He also says it is the most expensive tractor to maintain. They have been out of production since 2014.

Precisely! An Essex Tri-Directional would be ideal. The ability to de-materialize the tractor and re-materialize it in another place and time is extremely useful, and the negative fuel consumption makes them inexpensive to operate. I just wish I could remember where and when I parked mine.

I have one I bought new 276 II ford motor and I will own it until I can no longer get on
it. Ive plowed with it, drilled grain and hay, pulled 13.5 ft disc cutter, baled hay fed
hay, plowed alot of snow and built a road or two. Tomorrow I'll help a neighbor load hay.
I have several other tractors, but it will be the last to leave.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back