Big Bee Brushhog

Ron7000

Member
I have a Big Bee brushog that I have not used since last year. The PTO shaft always slid easily back and forth but now it won't move to connect it to the PTO drive. I greased it with the zerk fittings on the plastic cover but I am not sure that the grease goes anywhere. With the cover you can't see what is going on inside. Could I use a come-along to see if it will move at all?
 
I have a Big Bee brushog that I have not used since last year. The PTO shaft always slid easily back and forth but now it won't move to connect it to the PTO drive. I greased it with the zerk fittings on the plastic cover but I am not sure that the grease goes anywhere. With the cover you can't see what is going on inside. Could I use a come-along to see if it will move at all?
Of course. Is it retracted all the way? If not you can pound it in with a fence post to free it up.

Some on here disagree with me but I never grease mine. When you get it loose pull it apart, wash it off with gasoline and a brush. Take a wire wheel to it and polish it. Then leave it dry.
 
Of course. Is it retracted all the way? If not you can pound it in with a fence post to free it up.

Some on here disagree with me but I never grease mine. When you get it loose pull it apart, wash it off with gasoline and a brush. Take a wire wheel to it and polish it. Then leave it dry.
Thank you. I never had any trouble with it until after I greased it. It is retracted so will try come-along.
 
Are you sure the shaft doesn't have a slight twist to it? Impact loads can cause this (not uncommon with brush mowers). I had that issue with a JD 717 mower. Local shop cut out old shaft (from u joints) and welded in a new one. Works fine now.
 
The grease could be causing a suction when you attempt to pull it out. I doubt you would hurt anything if you got something to provide more removable force than what your hands can provide. I think to leave it dry could lead to rust and sticking problems, especially on equipment left outside or humid environments.

I think something like a chain lube would be the best thing for shaft lube. There are a couple of brothers (Justice Brothers) in California that make a foam chain lube...in an olive drab spray can with a white plastic lid. It goes on as a thick, bubbly pile of lube with a lot of trapped air. After a minute or two it looses its air and sinks into the chain. Been using it on my round baler chains for years and have never had to replace a chain. Plug Justice Brothers foaming chain lube in a search engine and get your results.....won't pack and cause a vacuum like grease....besides it flows into cracks and corners that grease can't reach. Its pricy, but what does quality cost if it gets the job done.
 
Thank you. I never had any trouble with it until after I greased it. It is retracted so will try come-along.
Grease(heavy oil in a binder) dries out and leaves the binder, which is thick and sticky. Buy a bottle of Liquid Wrench, tie the PTO shaft up and dose the shaft daily while trying to slide it. Might take several day to free it up.
I greased mine once and it stopped sliding in/out. Lesson learned.
Of course if you pull it apart, you can clean it up so it slides freely, but you must remove the shield off each half first.
 
Last edited:
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top