Big honkin diode

Ultradog MN

Well-known Member
Location
Twin Cities
I mentioned a few weeks ago that the DC side of my old buzz box welder was kaput and I couldn't use it.
So my friend and electric guru Steve stopped by and tested the diodes.
One was bad.
He told me what to look for and I got one on ebay.
It came late this afternoon and I saw the truck come so I instantly took it to the garage and installed it.
The welder works again on both sides.
Yea!
While I was waiting for the diode to come I also replaced the little cooling fans.
They sounded like a B-25 with both engines about to conk out.
I missed getting to weld up the fork mast on my friend's loader cause the DC quit but will now have the opportunity to weld the cast iron base on a drill press with kind of a fancy rod.
Label says you can run it either ac or dcep so I will experiment with it.
I'm looking forward to that.


cvphoto156289.jpg


cvphoto156290.jpg


cvphoto156294.jpg


cvphoto156295.jpg
 
We use diodes like that, and larger on SCR controls of older forklifts for the forward and reverse travel functions on electric powered forklifts. Replaced many over the years.
 
I started welding with my dad's Century welder when I was 10-12 years old, about 1962? It was a good machine, but we sold it at the auction after he passed in 93, as I had bought my Airco, it's a good old machine too.
 
In the late 60s and early 70s, those were known as submarine diodes and were highly sought after..iirc they cost around $295 back then, if your were lucky enough to find some surplus. My wages back then was $1.65 an hour at a union company.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top