Billion is storm damage in Ky

Geo-TH,In

Makes me think, aside from the tradgety and death, will anything positive come from the ashes,?
Will the new home have a safe room?

News mention a tornado in Kansas a few years ago was total destruction similar to Ky. I recall talk of safe rooms. Did anyone rebuilt with safe rooms in Kansas?

I have 2 basements. They may not be as safe as a safe room. I think hiding under the steps my be helpful. Been lucky. never had a tornado. Had some 90 mpj straight line winds. Neighbor liked like a war zone. Took 3 weeks before power was up and running. Good thing it wasn't winter.

Do you havea safe room or basement?

Well i do, i think,it would be safe, it's in the northwest corner of the basement, i got 10 in block walls, with a bond beam, built into the long part of it. Its only about 8 feet wide there,where the water line,water heater sit, ect!

we have a basement. i remember years ago in the farm magazine they sold an emergency tornado shelter you could install in a fence line. idea was if a tornado was coming and you were in the field you could high tail it to the shelter. didnt seem to catch on

When we were in Oklahoma on the harvest one of the crew members made a remark about the bomb shelters we saw on so many of the farm building sites. I told him they were mostly intended to be used to store veggies but another purpose was tornado shelter. With so many of the houses in that part of the country being slab houses there isnt much hiding space if a twister comes through.

I am sure there will be some thought to underground types as folks go thru this but from what i have experienced this week no much else would help. I helped a young man clean up his farm Thursday that had what was called a grade A milk barn in mid 50s. Concrete block structure about 30 ft wide by 60 ft long. When we got there all that was left was a concrete floor. NO walls, stanchions , feed bunks or roof. Not even within sight hard to fantasize wind that hard. I cut up a wild cherry tree that was over 45 inches across , over 200 years old. Solid no rot and it was broke off about 4 ft from the ground. I am 78 years old and this week I have witness things I never thought would happen. So many folks just left with literary nothing.

Before this recent tornado, the largest US tornado came across Southern Illinois on March 18, 1925. If you know what to look for, you can still see the path of that tornado. Mounds of dirt with a concrete structure under the mound.

What community were you in ? Thanks for helping. My farm was 6 miles north of a track. No wind damage at all, but covered with debris. Don

Made a safe room out of my closet when we built our house. been in it since
June 2020. beats going through the rain in a storm to get to the cellar.

Andy in NW AR.
ps That Ky Tornado started in NE AR killing two in a collapsed nursing home. Dedicated staff got residents into the hallway before it hit.

Never had need for any of that stuff. We have had storms through here but no tornadoes at this place some straight line wind a couple times. Had tornadoes in town or a few miles away.

Alabama had a tornado outbreak a few years back on April 27th. Saw places where the concrete sidewalk was sucked up and gone. Brick houses , gone, no bricks in sight. Where the tornado crossed the 4 lane road the grass was gone, and asphalt was scuffed and scared. One road the destruction was a mile wide and in the path of a tornado that covered 100+ miles, nothing left standing, except one single wide mobile home. No broken windows, vinyl underpinning all in place. No debris blow up against it. Totally unexplainable....

(quoted from post at 07:49:27 12/19/21) Never had need for any of that stuff. We have had storms through here but no tornadoes at this place some straight line wind a couple times. Had tornadoes in town or a few miles away.

Like not carrying a self defense weapon, eh??

cvphoto111346.jpg

The 2011 Joplin,MO tornado pictured above did 2 billion in damage...I believe its one of the highest dollar tornado losses in history?...The May 2007 tornado at Greensburg,KS leveled 95% of the town of a little over 1000 people...I'm sure that most that stayed in Greensburg added safe rooms to their new homes. I no longer even recognize Greensburg when I drive thru it..

The only place we have to go is the bath tub..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back