Bishman Tire Changer

baydog1

Hello. I have a Bishman 880-61 tire changer that the air cylinder is getting real tired. It's weak. Can I buy a new cylinder for it or a rebuild kit? If I can do either can I get a website or contact information please?
Thank you
Scotty

Highly dought you find a Bishman cylinder or rebuild kit. Those tire changers have not been made since the late 50, early 60's.

If you get all of the specs for the cylinder. Length, stroke, rod diameter, mounting etc etc. You may find one that could possibly be made to fit at places that deal with air cylinders like McMaster.

I would never try to use that type of tire changer on modern alloy wheels. It would tear them all to pieces.

This post was edited by Mule Meat on 11/19/2023 at 04:11 am.

The seals may be O rings which you can buy to size or cut down and super glue together from larger ones if you can't get exact size, use an angled cut and match them good, maybe 45 deg.

Is it leaking or just sluggish? Do you have a lubricator on the air line? If not a good dose of air tool oil might make a difference. If its as old as mentioned in another post the cylinder may have leather seals that have dried out.

Yeah, air tool oil is best. But if really worn a thicker oil may help. I was a mechanic in a mill and have seen really worn air cylinders saved (for a while) by adding 90 weight gear oil. I did this when a replacement or rebuild kit wasn't immediately available and it kept the machine running on several occasions.

Thank you everyone for you help. I am going to pull the air cylinder down and see what makes it tick and what I can do for it. I don't mind at all adding any kind of oil to try and make it work but the top plate is kinda oily like it may of been leaking oil? Am I supposed to be checking oil somewhere on the machine and if not can I just put the oil in through the air line?

Adding oil to the air inlet will oil all of the seals. There are oilers that add a small amount of oil to the air as the air passes through them but probably a few drops now and then will be fine for most seldom used equipment. In your case you might want to add a lot more as you are trying to seal worn seals. Maybe a quarter cup more or less. Can't hurt it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back