fastfarmall

Well-known Member
Where do u get the bolts, to attach the wheels to the Rim,on a M,there 5/8x 4-1/4,Some of mine are rusted into the casting's, I tried a 4 inch, there a little short,and the threads are too short to get the jam nut tight. I tried Bates, they thought they had 4, but looked and had none. I called Fastenal co, they will make a min of 25.
 
You don't need a 'jam nut'. A single nut with good lock washer will suffice.What about a 4 1/2" if you want/need a 'lock nut'?
 
The Fastenal website shows a hex head 5/8-11 x 4 1/4" bolt available in Grade 5 zinc coated (part number 13320) and Grade 5 black coated (part number 12320). For me Grade 8 would be over kill for this application considering the additional cost. All of my fasteners come from Fastenal and I can buy any quantity needed for a job. That bolt will cost less than $3.00 each. Let me know if I can help you. My local store is most helpful and super easy to work with. Maybe being a regular customer and getting to know the counter help on a first name basis helps.
 
The original bolts have 2 inches of shank and 2 1/4 of threads. All the 4 and 4 1/2 in bolts, have just 2 inches of thread. I dont know what i am going to do, quite yet!
 
(quoted from post at 08:59:17 08/01/17) The original bolts have 2 inches of shank and 2 1/4 of threads. All the 4 and 4 1/2 in bolts, have just 2 inches of thread. I dont know what i am going to do, quite yet!

It should be easy to add a few threads???
 
(quoted from post at 05:02:43 08/01/17) Where do u get the bolts, to attach the wheels to the Rim,on a M,there 5/8x 4-1/4,Some of mine are rusted into the casting's, I tried a 4 inch, there a little short,and the threads are too short to get the jam nut tight. I tried Bates, they thought they had 4, but looked and had none. I called Fastenal co, they will make a min of 25.

Norman Jackson

(Three-One-7)
4-Three-1-
Four-8-Zero-3

AG
 

I got mine at the local Case-IH dealer. I think any farm machinery dealer should have them. Local auto parts stores did NOT have them. Neither did the local farm stores.

I tried the bolts that were too long. Thought I could just run a die down and cut more threads. NOT an easy task.
 
If you want a bolt to STAY TIGHT throw the lock washer away as lock washers can and will move and OH break out then your fastner is really loose.
 
I always felt too, that a lock washer cant work if it cant bite in, and that cast iron wedge wont allow it.
 
Good idea Russ, but going to use the originals, if i don't have to cut them off! They are some tough bolts, i double nut them and proceed with a 4lb hammer with both hands, only one bolt mushroomed out so bad i cant reuse it !
 
I buy from Fastenal for years and they never said I had to buy a certain number. I have bought just 2 bolts but the more you buy the better the price.
 
One can buy Gr5, 5/8-11 x 4-1/2" fully threaded from McMaster Carr for $5.00 each.

As far as shortening down to 4-1/4", a lathe or metal cutting bandsaw should make fairly fast work of them. Belt sander or file to clean up the end and chamfer. I always like to put on the "Higbee lead thread" since its self-cleaning but that's optional.

If you need the unthreaded shoulder, you'll probably have to call around and ask people to measure their inventory, and if they have what you want, buy them right then and there over the phone. I went thru this for some #10-24 socket heads a few years back. I found a place that had the extra threaded length in stock and paid for them on the same phone call.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top