Brake Controller Advice

Howdy, I am looking to buy a brake controller for my truck and would like some advice on what to look for and what brands to buy or stay away from.
I have a 2004 F150 w/ 5.4L. and plan on pulling a 22ft. #14,000 w/ tandem axle brakes.
The trailer will be used for farm work, and to pull either a '37 JD A and a '52 Farmall M (not at the same time)

Thanks for your advice
Tom
 
Tom,
I have had a Tekonsha "Prodigy" for several years and really like it. It has always worked well. I had a Kelsey-Hayes brand before that, and never was happy with the way it performed. That is just my $.02. Good Luck!
 
Similar situation. I had a cheap walmart/farm and fleet controller. It worked fine but always fiddling with settings and tweaking it just right for the load. Overall it worked and I was happy. Then I read posts like this one and bought a Tekonsha Prodigy for my 2007 F150. Have since pulled about 8000lbs with it and was very impressed. Significantly better smoother braking. I also recommend spending the extra few bucks and getting the harness adapter. eliminates all wire splicing. one ends mates with the prodigy the other mates to your truck, plug in simple.
 
I have 2 Tekonsha controllers, one hydraulic (1979 Chevy 3/4 ton) and one electronic (2001 Chevy K1500). Excellent devices. Bought and installed a Hoppy for my Father-In-Law. Have not used it, but he likes it. Both of my Tekonsha's have stopped in excess of 10,000 lbs.
 
I wouldn't think of abusing a good 150 by pulling 1400 lbs with it . If you want to pull that much weight you need at least a 350 . My K2500 Chev Silverado Crew Cab Is only good for 9400 lbs . I know Fords are good but not that good My brother-n-law just gutted one pulling a 4 horse trailer w/tack & bed room . After 4 years .
 
I can chime in here, I know farmaller. The tralier is a friend of our's that we work for in the summer. Not going to load it full behind this truck, just one of the mentioned tractors, or a comparable load.

Thanks
 
By reading between the lines, I think he is going to be pulling a trailer rated at 14K, would appear actual load will be much less. Just hope he has heavy enough springs and frame to handle the load if he decides to do an overload for the F150. I have had several 1/2 ton pickups in the past, 72 Ford 390 4bbl, plenty power, springs just too weak. 81 Dodge 360 4x4 4bbl, not too bad as trailer towing pickup, kind of wish I could find one like it, made 12.5 MPG with or without a heavy load behind it, but still sitting on the springs. The best pickup I EVER owned was a 66 Chevy 1/2 ton short wheel base stepside. It started out life as a US Army pickup, 6 cyl, 4 speed, detroit locker rear end. I blew the 6 popper up one night stoplight racing Camaro's and Mustangs, I had the tires and gearing to walk away from them for the first city block or so. NO tire slip with the locker rear end. After I blew the 6, went with 283, powerglide, Carter AFB 4bbl carb, 327 truck heads, and headers. Back then, we didn't have goosenecks, but I could hook on to any bumper pull trailer and feel completely safe pulling it. DOUG
 
i"ve had a tekonsha primus and have a voyager in my truck now and have been pleased with them both the voyager is a little more expensive.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top