Brake return spring on Ford 640

moday

I have a Ford 640 ; both brake pedals are on the right side. The right brake pedal sits almost on the footrest, where the left
brake pedal is way above the foot rest and then springs back to that same height off the footrest after applying the brake.

Where is the spring that supplies the return force on the system/pedal?

Is it under the brake drum or is it the small torsion spring on the brake shaft behind the wheel/drum? That spring looks too
weak to be the source of return force. I will most likely have to remove the wheel and pull the brake drum?

Please advise....I have a manual and can look through it too but figured there was lots of experience on this awesome website?

thanks, Mike

The visible spring holds a dust shield in place against the brake backing plate.

The return springs are inside the brake drum.

The right brake has 2 springs on shoes in drum. The left side has 1 spring in drum. To find out will have to remove wheel and drum.

Have you tried adjusting the brakes? My guess is your brakes are about worn out. Regardless, you'll need to pull the drums to see what's going on. Once you're in there, you might as well replace the shoes and drums.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back