Brass brush in spool valve body?

petebert

Based on my symptoms of powershift 1 and reverse having issues in cold weather, they tell me that spool valve #3 is sticking. I've been reading all the older posts I can find on cleaning them. So I've read the warnings about not overdoing it on the valve. A lot of the posts say the real issue is gunk in valve body and that it's aluminum so be careful.

What if I match up the valve with a similar sized brass gun barrel brush to clean out the body? Would that be safe or is that still too abrasive?

If it is doable, what would you put on the brush as either a lubricant and/or solvent?

Gun cleaning brushes are very stiff, designed for clearing lead particles out that become lodged in the rifling of a hard steel gun barrel.

Joe

I always use the spool itself and just move it back and forth, I never use anything on the interior bore, the sharp edges of the spool will clean the body, the spools are equipped with a threaded end that will allow you to work the spool back and forth with a machine screw, DO NOT try to polish the spool in a drill press with emery cloth or any other abrasive and do not try to polish the valve, you can only damage it, the spools sharp edges will be destroyed and their wiping action hindered if you put them in a drill press and use emery cloth on them. you can flush the bores with brake clean and blow out with a air gun. I have heard horror stories about people trying to use abrasives to clean the aluminum body so please don't go that route, the spool will clean it just fine, just keep working it back and forth.

Can you verify that I did indeed pull the #3 valve? It was a little confusing looking at the diagram. The one I figured to be #3 was right in front of the neutral safety switch, actually pulled the switch out to make it more accessible.

I do not have that info in front of me but looking at the valve I would think that right front corner valve would either be 1 or 4, I'm saying that because the line coming out of the valve at that area goes to the bell housing feed and they are the two front clutches, maybe 1370 Rod can help out here. I have been out of the field going on 8 years now and there are guys presently involved yet.

This post was edited by mEl on 01/31/2022 at 04:51 am.

(quoted from post at 22:26:25 01/28/22) Based on my symptoms of powershift 1 and reverse having issues in cold weather, they tell me that spool valve #3 is sticking. I've been reading all the older posts I can find on cleaning them. So I've read the warnings about not overdoing it on the valve. A lot of the posts say the real issue is gunk in valve body and that it's aluminum so be careful.

What if I match up the valve with a similar sized brass gun barrel brush to clean out the body? Would that be safe or is that still too abrasive?

If it is doable, what would you put on the brush as either a lubricant and/or solvent?

I havw heard of people using jewelers rouge. Not sure of the process but assume it's done gentely.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back