Brown and Sharpe Automatic Screw Machines

I got off topic. They are really vertical lathes that index around a center column. Each station has tooling that feeds vertical. Ours produced parts for our Class 8 truck axles. Parts were 6 to 24" in diameter. I see lots of single spindle vertical lathes on FB.

Has anyone on Tractor Tool Talk ever set-up and ran a Brown and Sharpe Screw machine ? Just curious as I have always been fascinated by them .
I have a 1913 B&S 3/4" OG I was given after working 30 years at a place and we used it to make spacers. I have all the Cams & accessories plus the Manual but limited ability to set it up. What could I set up and make for an Impressive Demo part? Spacers are not very exciting and I'm not interested in production-Just something Impressive I could fire it up and make for a Antique Machine Tour once in the while??Cleddy

Even a simple spacer would be impressive to someone who's never seen a screw machine run, but I've noticed people like to see demonstrations with threads and knurls. Maybe a piece of 3/8" bar with a diamond knurl on the outside and a 10-32 internal thread. Cut it off at about 1/2" so you've got something to hold in your hand.

I have a 1913 B&S 3/4" OG I was given after working 30 years at a place and we used it to make spacers. I have all the Cams & accessories plus the Manual but limited ability to set it up. What could I set up and make for an Impressive Demo part? Spacers are not very exciting and I'm not interested in production-Just something Impressive I could fire it up and make for a Antique Machine Tour once in the while??Cleddy
Interesting question. Do you have cams with threading capabilties? An external thread utilizing a die head would provide for a good demonstration. I'll see if I can post a video of one on my machines running.

Interesting question. Do you have cams with threading capabilties? An external thread utilizing a die head would provide for a good demonstration. I'll see if I can post a video of one on my machines running.
I don't know what all the Cams are for but I have many. I don't have a Die head that opens at end of thread which I think I need. A real "Screw" off a Screw Machine would be neat?? Cleddy

I don't know what all the Cams are for but I have many. I don't have a Die head that opens at end of thread which I think I need. A real "Screw" off a Screw Machine would be neat?? Cleddy
Where are you at, Cleddy? I would be glad to help you out. We could talk over the phone. I'm in central NY.

Where are you at, Cleddy? I would be glad to help you out. We could talk over the phone. I'm in central NY.
Thanks for the offer but at the moment my machine is in storage since brought it home and lots of other stuff have to move to make a running spot for it. I'm in Eastern Nebraska but like next door for Phone & Text Comm. It may be a while before getting to this project-Never thought another person in world was interested in these old Machines??

As I noted above, I have eight operational with jobs on all of them. Watch some videos of them running on You Tube. It may give you some education. I had an OG years ago, long gone now.

Good luck.

I got off topic. They are really vertical lathes that index around a center column. Each station has tooling that feeds vertical. Ours produced parts for our Class 8 truck axles. Parts were 6 to 24" in diameter. I see lots of single spindle vertical lathes on FB.
We had a handful of 12 spindle bullards years ago. Used them for rough cutting daiken clutch plates for Isuzu and oil pumps for the 7.3 international. Those guys would run around like a chicken with their head cut off and rags on their head .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back