Brush chaining

Dave G9N

I thought the 20' long 1/4" grubbing chain that I found wrapped around a tree out back was big. I can just pull a 2" buckthorn out of soft ground with with that chain and a Ford 2N. A pair of D8s using 4" stud link chain are rather more capable:
https://youtu.be/2Sr4CgRYQ7E

Make a steel A frame with a chain notch at the top, and some one foot area feet that is about 3 feet in height. With it leaning toward the tree/bush, put the Chain over that and wrap two turns around the base of the tree. Pulling now lifts and amplifies the power of the pull. Jim

Place an old wheel on edge next to the sapling. Lay the
chain over the wheel and attach it low on the sapling.
Pull. This will give some vertical lift and the wheel can roll
away as the sapling comes out. It works for stubborn
fence posts, too.

I've ripped out some trees up to the 4" range with 5/16 G70 chain and my backhoe loader. Sometimes it takes a few tugs but each tug more roots free or snap and then it's out.

At .37 in the video the dozer has what appears to be a rubber wheel rolling on the top of the track.
Anyone have any idea what purpose it serves.

That was a common practice in south Texas years ago.
Still used some today but not as much. Probably just
not as many big areas being cleared now. Tony

Yeah, what is the purpose of this wheel/tire?
cvphoto168281.jpg

might be a seeder.
My brother-in-law had a land clearing business years ago. Did some chaining, mostly root plowing.
He had a seeder that used the exhaust from the dozer to spread the grass seed.

same system but no even close is size thoes small dozer and small chain compared to the original post

That in fact may be a sack of seed on the floor board and the small box behind the wheel to container to feed them into the exhaust . Never seen anything like that and they usually have a big chopper follow the chaining .

(quoted from post at 10:43:48 12/09/23) Place an old wheel on edge next to the sapling. Lay the
chain over the wheel and attach it low on the sapling.
Pull. This will give some vertical lift and the wheel can roll
away as the sapling comes out. It works for stubborn
fence posts, too.

this is a simple drawing of pulling up and forward at the same time. I used it for pulling a bogged down Farmall diesel tractor that was sunk up to it's frame in swampy type ground. I used an empty 55 gallon drum laying on it's side instead of the big vertical plank in the drawing. That empty drum made the front wheels of the tractor start to rise when pulling instead of just digging deeper in the mud. I got this idea many many years ago while watching an old Tarzan movie on TV.

Tarzan was teaching "Boy" how to get a rhino pulled out of a muddy bog. He used the same set up as in the picture except he didn't have a tractor of course. Also works great for pulling up stuck fence posts. It's simple leverage at play.

lPgjmhF.png

This post was edited by Caryc on 12/11/2023 at 03:12 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back