Buddy seat idea

8NHENRY

I am looking to buy a row crop tractor and want to put a buddy seat on so my wife can ride along. I want to something side by side and will put a step so we can get on and off of the front. Looking for ideas and also pictures. Thankyou

1949 SC
cvphoto111355.jpg

cvphoto111359.jpg

Is your wife no longer happy to just
be confined to the kitchen frying
chicken???
Maybe this is your big chance to learn
how to cook. Send her to the field,
and you'll bring out the basket of
fried chicken on a hot day. I don't
think I would turn that deal down, and
forget about the buddy seat. You might
even get in a few minutes to watch
some of the price is right, and drink
the extra beer that didn't go into the
chicken batter. There's no way I'd
turn that deal down!!

Those look like cab air ride bags. A school bus seat would make a good model to start from. A lot depends on the tractor. Like the letter series would not lend themselves to front mount well with the lights out on the side by where you have to get on. I would look at tractors that have the lights in the fenders for that.

I have a friend that has a 140 Farmall that has been widened and has 2 air ride seats on it. It is for sale in NW Iowa 515-320-0332 his name is Louie Thanks Bert

Pastor John that's a nice job you did with your tractor. This is what I have on my Ford but don't think it would work on a row crop tractor
mvphoto85982.jpg

Farmall BN Low Crop at the Pageant of Steam (Canandaigua NY)

Easy to step on/off too!!

cvphoto111431.jpg

cvphoto111432.jpg

What I see lacking in all of these pictures is a bar or high footrest in front of the passenger for the passenger to hang onto or push back with. This would not need to be a bar clear across in front of the passenger. Just a grab handle curved around in front of the passenger maybe 8 inches or a little more coming from the arm rest for the passenger to grab is all that is needed. Think about sitting in a car or pickup. Our feet are more in front of us instead of straight down with the knees at 90 degrees like we are in a buddy seat. I have been the passenger on a couple of those wide seats and I have felt like I would be pitched forward off the tractor if it slowed down fast. Another thing I have found through the use of auto steer in a modern tractor is the torso muscles have to work harder to keep the body braced against motion if I don't grip a steering wheel in front of me. As a driver we don't realize how much we are using our arms to keep our body from pitching forward. I would not recommend a seat belt on a tractor with no rollover protection.

Thanks it is nice but a challenge for a row crop. If I had to
do it again I would move the seat back about 4 and not
as wide. Clearance getting on and off is tight

The cab air bags finish it off pretty good. They are only
$30 each and easily filled with conventional air hose.
cvphoto111461.jpg

cvphoto111462.jpg

cvphoto111463.jpg

cvphoto111464.jpg

Try contacting Owosso Tractor parts he should have plenty of pictures for several models of tractors with all kinds of ideas. He is the organizer of the Mackinac bridge crossing with many buddy seats entered for that. Or you could just bolt a plate across the original seat mount location with a couple braces of your choice to the sides then put to truck air seats on it. Those can be either adjusted just before driving or a leveling valve and air tank mounted where ever you choose to keep it at a certain level in or out of the seat. with personalized adjustment as chosen.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back