Bush Hog model 12, cannot remove stump jumper

Bama Johnny

New User
Bought this 5' model 12 Bush Hog rotary mower new in 1988, has served me well since new, however the seals have deteriorated and need replacement.
PTO seal was no problem, popped right out but cannot get the stump jumper off to replace the lower seal.
The hub is attached to the spindle by a tapered fit (no splines) keyed with a 1/4" key held together with a large (2" hex) nut. Was able to remove the nut.
It's TIGHT! I constructed a puller I welded to the stump jumper and with all the force a 12,000 pound bottle jack could produce and heat from a oxy-acetylene torch I could not get the taper to separate.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Bigger jack. Are you able to heat the blade holder bar on the side of the bar, or are you trying to heat it around the nut area?

May need to keep the puller you made
tight from underneath and get on top
of the deck in the meantime with a
very large sledge hammer and hit a
piece of shaft through the blade
access hole onto the stump jumper.
Hit hard and rotate 180 degrees and
keep repeating. Got to jar loose the
taper fit.

I second what crsutton81 said. Continue with your jack and heat, but it needs a real hard pounding. When I
worked for a dealer, we had a heavy spud bar and slammed them thru the access hole in the deck. Hit it on
both sides where the blades bolt up. I had one or two that I just cut up/off with the torch, because they
were junk anyway. On a side note, you could give up your seal replacement and put corn head grease in your
box, instead of 90w. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back