Bruce Macoy

New User
I imagine this question has been asked many times. I have an8n
and would like to buy a bush hog. I will be mowing high grass
and weeds. What type of bush hog should I look for and what
size will my little girl handle with ease? Thanks for any info.
 
IT will pull a five footer just fine and is the same width as your rear tires. Be sure to use an overrunning clutch (ORC) on your PTO. Heavy grass might require low gear, or you can cut lesser swaths per pass.

Ag
 
Bush Hog® is a registered brand name.
That said, you will be happiest with a 5' brush or rotary mower behind your N.
When I first got my N I bought a new 5' King Kutter for it.
I got excellent service from that KK and would not hesitate to recommend one to any N owner.
Oh, and if your tractor handles it with ease then you're not working it hard enough. wink
hogging
 
As others have said, 5 foot is important. If you get a smaller one, you won't be cutting very close to any fences!

I can't speak to a brand because mine was bought used & I've yet to find a data plate on it.
50 Tips
 
Not a hijack, but I can't help wondering about folks that refer to their tractors as "She" and/or "Her". Was there a toilet training issue, or lack of B..... feeding that brought this forward? Knowledge is all ;^)
 
Dunno about tractors but ships in most navys throughout the world are referred to as feminine.
Consider the Lady Lex - USS Lexington CV-16
" She was launched 9/42, comissioned 2/43, earned 11 battle stars in WWII and stayed in commission longer than any other carrier of her class.
She was finally decomissioned in 11/91 and currently reigns as the queen of museum ships in Corpus Cristie, TX."
 
5 ft as others have said BUT in heavy stuff you will be taking smaller bites-If you plan on lots of heavy stuff, get a bigger tractor. I"m looking for a bigger one right now.
 
Bigger tractor isn't always the answer either.
I bought a used 5' very heavy Bush Hog brand mower a few years ago. N wouldn't lift it. So I bought a bigger tractor that lifts/handles it just fine.
Now I wish I had a bigger mower. A 6' would be just about perfect.
 
I agree--I"m hoping to find a good 45-50 hp tractor then if I do that will determine which hog I buy when TSC puts them on sale first of October.
 
Yep, most people will say 5-foot and it matches the track width better than a 4-foot. Look at the design of the thing though. Make sure it's either round or cut off on a 45 angle on the back corners. My 5-foot cutter is a big square box and it's near impossible to avoid bashing it into everything.
 
5' light or medium duty.

I have both a 5' KK and a 5' howse. the howse I would call light duty, and the KK a medium duty due to stronger sides.

the howse will let you cut lower to the ground, IE.. if clipping grasses.

I've mowed 7' tall stemmy weeds with both and they do a good job at that.

again.. for just pasture maintenance and grass clipping.. if you want a closer cut.. go howse.

it's lighter too and will be easier on the hyds.. though I'd make a set of limit chains anyway so there is no guessing about mower height.

soundguy
 
A 5 footer should be no problem. Watch the weight of whatever you buy. Once a mower gets above ~600 to 650 lbs, the steering will be light when you lift it on the three point. And for safety"s sake, make sure you get an ORC to use with it.
 
I've wondered about that too. Some boy names, some girl names. Where do you look to determine gender? Somewhere around the tail pipe?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top