Buy once, cry once

rockyridgefarm

Seed cleaning season is in full swing for me. I have my machine on a pair of 14k axles, which I had thought was more than enough. Well, once I had it built and rolled across a scale, I was surprised to find out it weighed 15,500lbs. I had no choice but to run with the too-light axles, figuring if I ran slow and careful, it d be ok. No dice. 1500ish miles and one axle was slightly bent. Start the search for a heavier trailer. This is over the course of a year and a half.

This past Tuesday , I was talking with the local welding shop, and was surprised to be informed that one can purchase torsion axles that are rated for more than 7k! Hmmm on to bookface marketplace and a guy in Monticello has some 10k axles listed for $5k. I popped down and bought them. As I was writing the check, he said "Well the other guy is gonna be upset". Apparently someone has been stringing him along for a month, but was "SURE he was coming this week"!

Next problem, wheels off a 7k axle won t fit a 10 k axle. Axle seller didn t have wheels, so back to bookface. Set of 5 for 1650 in Pecatonica IL. Drive down Thursday look at em, offer him 1500, and now I have tires.

Sad part is, I only paid 2200 for the trailer! At least I ll have no worries with the axles anymore

mvphoto108431.jpg

mvphoto108432.jpg

mvphoto108433.jpg

How much weight is added when it is full of grain? Do you use leveling jacks or cribbing when operating the cleaner?

(quoted from post at 05:52:51 08/11/23) How much weight is added when it is full of grain? Do you use leveling jacks or cribbing when operating the cleaner?

Leveled and lifted off the tires at every job. Winter project is hydraulic jacks at corners and center. Getting sick of all the cranking

mvphoto108434.jpg

I guess I would have put it on a short step deck trailer and had plenty of trailer with air ride. It would just float along on the road. Might need a bigger truck for it then though. My brother straightened a couple of those torsion axles that got bent, on van trailers a guy was using. Thought if they bent that easy they must be pretty poor axles. I like air ride axles best easier to maintain and no broken springs for DOT. Yes air bags can and do go bad and are cheaper on the whole than springs.

i am not so sure on them torsion axles., but its just what i hear. light looking trailer for that load.

I overloaded a 7k landscape trailer, two 3500
axles. While the trailer was still overloaded, I
parked on a concrete pad, used a floor jack to
bend a curve back in the bent axle.
It worked until I sold the trailer years later.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back