BUYING A TRACTOR

JR Frye

Member
I have a friend that wants to buy a small tractor with a end loader and use it to cut hay, rake hay, and maybe use a square bailer, push snow in the winter time, He would like to
Buy a 8N but I am thinking it might a little to light for all of that type of work.
His is also is wanting to put a dozer blade on the front to push snow.
What do you guys think:
MANY THANKS:: for your thoughts>
JR FRYE
 
While an N can do all of those tasks, for about the same money, a 100 series will do them better. Much better.

N's do not have live hydraulics or a live PTO. Push the clutch in & the PTO stops. And the 3-point does as well.

I've got 4 8N's; one trailer queen & 3 workers. One of the workers is a 1951 w/ a Freeman loader. If I could only own one N, it would not have a loader on it. The N doesn't have PS, so a loader makes it very difficult to steer. (my wife can't drive it) Stopping it on a down slope w/ a full bucket is a real joy as well. Maneuvering around trees, etc, w/ that bucket out there isn't fun either. Some require you to chain the lift arms down to operate the loader. And, try a simple 5 minute repair job (points replacement) w/ some loaders attached & you will not be happy. Worst of all, the N wasn't designed to carry the weight of the loader & the load, so be prepared for split radius rods & worn out front end parts.

As an alternative, a rear scoop bucket on an N works very well.

There were at least 5 (& probably more) loaders built for N's; Wagner, Freeman, Dearborn, Davis & Sauder come to mind. Each has certain advantages over the other, (e.g., the Sauder does detach quicker) but all share the common disadvantages I mentioned above.
50 Tips
 
ditto what bruce said.. get something beefy like a 860 or 861.. the live pto will help with the bailer.. and easier to add hyds for the laoder../blade

soundguy
 
8N will do it but not the best way to go and pushes it to the max and then some. One of the 801 series and the best would be the 861 since it has live PTO is more what he would need. Even then pulling a baler can be about as much as you want with an 801 I know I used one for years for that and learned to hate the rocking chair effect
 
How much money does he have to spend on the tractor? If he can afford it buy a Blue Ford. 3000, 3600, 3910 etc.
If he has lots of dough buy a Kubota.
My cousin has about a 10 yo Kubby - bout 50 hp. Has the quicktach loader and all the features a guy could ever want on a tractor.
 
I agree with Ultra and the others. Go up the ladder from an N and if you are buying a tractor I would suggest you lurk around the fifty hp territory. Used or new depends on the pocket book.
 
I can't say anything about a loader but as far as the hay work is concerned.....I love my N for raking hay. It works well and is just fun to drive. I wouldn't even think about hooking my NH Super 68 bailer to it. In heavy hay that bailer puts a strain on an IH M. This year I used the 1206 IH....bit of an overkill but worked way better than the M. The N will not move slow enough in 1st in heavy hay. I had to run the 1206 in 2 low and use the TA to slow down in the heavyest spots to keep from plugging the bailer I'm in the market for a 50-60 HP tractor to run a 9' haybine and the baler. I'm thinking of a Frod 4000 (what I really want) or a 560 to 756 IH which would be ok and more affordable in my area.

Rick
 
Depends on him, is he mechanically inclined or not. If not go buy a new or newer NH or JD. If he a good wrench turner go get an older tractor and save the money. Some great old tractors are money pits, some arent. If you buy old really lookit over and make sure your not buying a dud that'll need $$$ three days after you get it home.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top