BUYING A USED WELDER

SDE

My P&H ac welder has upset me one too many times. It has a rotary dial and it is difficult to get the right amps to get a good weld. I want to get a replacement, when one shows up on an auction. Is it safe to assume that an old stick welder is going to work as it should and it is being sold because the owner died or doesn't use it anymore since he got a wire feed welder?
TY
SDE

I never assume when buying anything used unless I've known the seller for a LONG time, and even then I've been bit once or twice.

If they won't let you plug it in and try it, walk away.

I would say if it is a farm sale or estate sale it is probably a safe bet it works. On a consignment sale I would question it's working unless I could try it. Just like battery chargers.

Took a $25 gamble on an AC/DC Lincoln at a consignment sale.
Covered in barn dust, cables were junk.
Cost me new cable (was a lot less expensive then), and a can of Rustoleum to pretty it up, worked like a champ.

Batting about .500 on consignment sale purchases, had a few that didn't work out so well.

Mornin SDE, good question: Is it safe to assume that an old stick welder is going to work as it should and it is being sold because the owner died or doesn't use it anymore since he got a wire feed welder ?

SHORT ANSWER NO However, if its a REAL estate sale where the old farmer died or indeed got a new unit THE CHANCES ARE MUCH GREATER ITS OKAY

FWIW when I was a used machinery dealer attending farm auctions all over the midwest I saw hundreds of those used welders sell and formed the opinion LOOKS MATTERS. Very old rusty dirty ratty units that looked unused in years were likely to be bad while ones that had been used recently were likely okay...

ALSO (An old auction hint) often a son or grandson or neighbor of the decedent are good to ask and they usually give you an honest answer. Of course if given an opportunity to plug it up and try GO FOR IT I tried to get there early and do that BEFORE anyone else was around then keep that secret if it tested good lol

ALSO if it was a USED welder or battery charger at an auction Ive seen them bring MORE THAN NEW lol

No way we can answer your question but hey were glad to offer opinions, take or leave at your own risk lol

John T

I learned to weld in the early 60s on a Forney that was from the early 50s. I wish I still had it; the plug-in amps were always the same.

Many used welders on my Craigslist.
Lincoln 225-S AC stick welder. Works well, just don't need anymore because of new welder purchase. All leads in good condition. $175.00

If I didn't have a portable backup generator and a welder I would be looking at this ad.
2012 Miller Gasoline Welder Generator - $1,020
Engine Weld Speed: 3600 RPM.
Looks in Very good condition.
Hours (used): 306 hrs
Fuel type: Gasoline

Attachment: Mig Whip, trailer, toolbox, Gas Cylinder, etc.

Check out your craiglist if you are thinking of a used welder.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back