cam follower pins hardened? & backer lift O-ring que

gears

So while my 3400 is torn apart for the clutch job (just dropped the flywheel off for turning, "Oh, that's a 15" flywheel, it's $55 not the $42 we told you on the phone....")

I figured I'd clean that plugged inlet filter - yes, the PTO shaft has to come out, AND the engagement shifter on the LH side too.

I noticed the cam follower pin was worn half way through. Does that need to be hardened or will a standard steel pin do? Part of me considered machining one with a roller sleeve.... I mean this one only lasted 60 yrs!

Lastly, when you lot do your lift piston O-rings do you use that split teflon one that comes in the kit or do you soak the rawhide one in water for 2-3 minutes and try stretching it on?

I can't say definitively but would guess Ford
wanted the pin perishable and not the cam as
the pin is cheaper and easier to replace.
I always boil the leather washer in a pan of
water to soften it.

No need to harden the metal pin, some people use a cut off drill bit. It is easier to replace
the pin than the cam on the lift arms. Ford already thought of the roller idea. :0) A roller
was used on the Super Major lift, and yes, it used to seize up and wear, just like the pin.
Replaced many in my time.

(quoted from post at 22:42:41 06/26/23) Thanks you two. Now to find a single dowel pin. Grainger wants $17 for 25 of them...
#374072S Years:1948-64 Draft Control Arm Cam Pin, dia=0.309"
$4.50

Hobo inspired me to "Update" to the Split Teflon backer - turns out the kit includes O-rings for 2 larger lift pistons and the split backer goes to those. Held tight in my piston's groove the ends overlap by 3/4"

Do I cut it (at the same angle) or just boil the rawhide one? So far I have a 50/50 vote....

New adventure, the 60 yr old braided hose going from the external grease cup to the release bearing cracked in half... NLA according to CNH. I'm heading to NAPA to see what's available.

Home with the flywheel, need to make a new grease hose for the throwout bearing. 12" clutch kit is on it's way.
mvphoto107094.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back