Campbell Hausfeld air compressor pump

TomIn

mvphoto103125.jpg

Several years ago my air compressor tipped over and bent the pump shaft and/or pulley. I thought that I might fix it someday.

This past weekend I found the remnants of an older Campbell Hausfeld compressor that had a hole in the tank. I salvaged the pump, motor, and "controls" to use on my old tank, but have no idea of the age and/or model number of the donor compressor.

When I tried to install these on my old tank I noticed that the Campbell Hausfeld pump had a fitting for the line to the tank, but I can't see and fitting or hole for the air intake into the pump.

Can anyone explain where the air intake is located and/or the model number of the compressor so that I can search for a parts diagram of manual?

The air intake will (probably be un filtered and direct into the reed valve assembly under the 6 bolt cover on the head. There may be two intakes, one on each side. Rotating the compressor by hand with your thumb over the holes next to the output may be informative. Or smoke from smoldering paper held near the head when running. I would create a filter system before operating it other than testing. What filter was on the old one, can it be adapted? Jim

What Jim said!

Air intake is thru the top of the head. In your photo there's pair of tiny foam filter pads (or should be anyway..) set into the two recesses on the top right side of the head - these are the air inlets.

Tip: If the compressor does not build air or if it pumps slowly, carefully inspect the inlet filter pads. As they deteriorate from heat and age, crumbs of filter material get ingested into the head and can prevent the inlet reed valves from sealing properly. Removing the head and carefully cleaning reeds and seats will have the compressor again working as it should.

That rectangular plate on the top of the pump is the intake. It has a filter under the plate and the flapper valves under that.

Thanks for all the information. When I took the cover plate off there was a spider nest on one port and black crud on the
other---no foam filters. I don't suppose the local box store stocks them!

Good evening, TomIn and all: Interesting story. I have a 30 year old Craftsman compressor, that turned out to be a Campbell-Hausfeld product. An old-timer repair shop owner helped me, we found most of my problem was acorns in the inlet to the flapper valves. It has been ok now for about 5 years. My main fear about this unit now is whether the tank may blow up some day! I painted several cars with it back in the day when you could get lacquer or acrylic enamel and paint in your back yard. Now I just use it for inflating tires....
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

they usually go out on bottom first (moisture) and usually leak vs blow up. I welded a patch over hole 10 years ago.....still fine. OK , so now, all the unappointed safety police have a fit!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back