Can i puth a 2 step

chube11

New User
Can i put a sherman transmission on my 52 ford 8n if it has a normal 4 speed iv wanted a 2step cause id make gettin round the land alor easier goin bit fast and havin more controle over gearing jf ya know what i mean so is it possible to take my stock trany off and put a 2 step on my 8n without changing much or what would i have to do to do so

Can i put a sherman transmission on my 52 ford 8n if it has a normal 4 speed iv wanted a 2step cause id make gettin round the land alor easier goin bit fast and havin more controle over gearing jf ya know what i mean so is it possible to take my stock trany off and put a 2 step on my 8n without changing much or what would i have to do to do so
Simple answer is yes if you can find one that is. And what would be even better but harder to find would be the Sherman combo which gives you 3 aux gears

There were three different Sherman auxillary transmissions offered. There was a step up transmission, a combination high/low transmission, and a step down transmission. It is very, very unlikely you will find a step down style as they are very uncommon. The Sherman auxillary transmission does not take the place of your existing 8N transmission. The Sherman replaces the input shaft in front of the existing transmission. You will have to split the tractor at the engine/transmission to remove the existing input shaft and install a Sherman. The operating handle is different between the Sherman step up and the combo transmissions so that is a quick way to identify which trans you find, even if it is currently installed in a tractor.

Here are a couple of links to help identify the auxillary transmissions:

Sherman Step Up Transmission

Sherman Combo Transmission

Short answer is yes. That's how they got installed in the first place. But, where you going to find one with all the parts and pieces you need to install it? It's not like you can go on Amazon and order one.

If you've come across one, and can guarantee that it has all the parts, by all means, go for it. You are much more likely to find a tractor equipped with one than you are to find one sitting in a box waiting to be installed.

Short answer is yes. That's how they got installed in the first place. But, where you going to find one with all the parts and pieces you need to install it? It's not like you can go on Amazon and order one.

If you've come across one, and can guarantee that it has all the parts, by all means, go for it. You are much more likely to find a tractor equipped with one than you are to find one sitting in a box waiting to be installed.
I do them occasionally forsale on ebay.. and the combo is the purple unicorn, but it does show up now and then.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back