carb trouble on 430

Pembroke

finally got the 430 started and running for a short while. Find myself having choke all the way closed to keep running. While trying to start, it will start and then die, Over and over again until it finally does start and run. When first got it running it ran out of gas, looked down and gas pouring out of carb, Luckly I had only about half gallon of gas in tank. Found float not working and worked it up and down a few times and started again. Question: what do I adjust on carb to open choke and tractor run the way it's supposed to? All comments are welcome and wanted. Thanks guys for all info so far. Pembroke

Sounds like a good methodical cleaning is in order, it's hard to adjust a carburetor with dirt problems. Start with checking the flow out of the bottom drain of the carburetor into a jar, should produce a stream that puts out a cup a minute. Don't overlook the cavity under the needle valve, a floater there will cause all kinds of problems. I use a metal end brush small enough to fit in it with a drill and it really scrubs it out. I've had to grind down the tip of a 7/16" socket to be able to remove the nozzle, gets real tight between the nozzle and the cast body. Life will be kinder if you put a shut off on the fuel line, I put them where ever it's easy to get to. It's not too hard to plumb a 1/8" npt ball valve onto the fuel line with compression fittings.

As Tg advised the carb appears to need a complete cleaning, I suggest you install a basic kit along with the cleaning. Special attention to the 3 nozzle holes and jet, idle jet, floats set correctly. Try running with gas tank cap off as vent may be plugged, check tank for floating debris and check strainer in sediment bowl. With a TSX carb you often need a gas head in the tank, fill tank 1/4 full or more and try it again, I've seen that over and over again, people drain the tank in the fall and try to start it in the spring with 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank.

Attachments

• v1650b.jpg
    v1650b.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 16
  • P6200001a.jpg
    P6200001a.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 16
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 16
found out what happened on carb. Whoever put it back together didn't have the needle clip on float. Fixed that and back to running fairly well. Thanks for the pictures and all comments. Pembroke

Actually the valve clip is a fairly recent option. It helps the float valve more consistently seat properly but it is not mandatory or surefire. Many people throw it away as it can be a pain to get fitted correctly. Float valves with the viton tip are a significant improvement over the solid brass imho.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back