Carburetor Adjustment.

Tom in NE

I have some questions about the carburetor on my TO-30. It was running really rough and I took it off and bought a rebuild kit from Tractor Supply. My neighbor cleaned it and installed the kit. I put it back on and it runs great...except the tractor doesn't want to idle. I have to hold the throttle all the way up to get an idle out of it. When I release it the engine starts racing. I have the big screw turned out about 1& 1/4 and the small screw is turned out almost 3/4 of a turn. That is where it is running the best. I'm going to try turning the idle screw on top all the way out and see if I can get it to idle slower. There isn't anything on the governor that will slow the idle down is there?
Email is open. Thanks!
Tom
Carb1.jpg

Carb.jpg

Chuck in California sent me this email and it makes good sense.

"Message: the butterfly shaft has been changed in the rebuild. the new arm has a shorter reach. the arm from the carburator is connected to the governor and is adjustable. it needs to be lengthened. disconect throttle shaft from carb, put throttle control in idle position, with carb shaft being held in the idle position while the tractor is running, lengthen the arm until the shaft fits into the shaft without movement. you might also take that thumbscrew throttle stop out and put in the shortest screw that works. the extra weight of the existing screw wears out the shaft and throttle body."

I'll unhook the rod from the carburetor and set the idle screw first, then I'll need to adjust the length of the rod from the carburetor to the governor. Thank's Chuck.

There is no adjustment as such on the governor to slow it down BUT if the rod from the Governor is not pushing the throttle closed enough to slow it down and it would take more than half a turn of the end yoke on the rod to slow it then adjust the "U" clamp at the front of the Fuel Tank. Slightly slacken the two nuts (if you slacken them too much it will all slip) then get a small 1/2" wrench and "hook" in onto the long throttle rod over the Engine, then lift the wrench GENTLY and NOT TOO MUCH so that the vertical rod is pushed down, this will close the throttle and should be enough for your purposes. If it is still not slow enough, you could try lengthening the rod from the Governor to the Carb SLIGHTLY (no more than 1 turn)or you will be altering the Governor settings.
If it still doesn't run slow enough or the Governor does not operate properly then email me and ask for the information to reset the Governor and I will send it. To check the Governor is working OK, open the throttle to 1/2 way, put the tractor in top gear and gently lift your foot from the Clutch and you should see the Governor Arm at the back of the Generator, move forwards towards the Radiator and this should speed up the Engine, that is OK and shows the Governor is working. If the Arm does not move forwards, email me and tell me what is happening and I will send some info to you as it maybe settings or something more serious, usually it is settings though.....John
[email protected]

Happy New Year John(UK)!

I got out in shop this morning and worked on that carburetor. I unhooked the rod from the governor and saw that the rod really needed to be screwed out a bunch. I screwed it out 3 turns and there was just a little tension left. The results were great! I'm enclosing a video of it running. I got to blade a little snow this morning. I think that I might try going one more turn out. The carb seems to be close, but I could hear a little 'chirping' sound at the exhaust. I'll try turning the small screw out just a little more.
Video link Below:
Thanks again for all you help thru the years,
Tom
Ferguson Running.

Happy New Year to you Tom!!
Does the Governor work as I said in the last posting? What does the engine sound like when its idling, you should set it when the engine is running about 450rpm if it runs faster than this it is running on the main jet not the idle jet. You wont make any difference trying to set the small screw if the engine is running at that speed on your video, it will be doing nothing, that adjustment is only for running at idle speed. Set the main jet first so that when you open the throttle quickly from Half throttle to full throttle, it will speed up without spluttering or blowing black smoke. Black smoke is too rich, so screw the big adjuster in 1/8 turn at a time. If it splutters it is too weak, so screw it out 1/8 turn at a time. Try it each time you do an adjustment until it opens up smoothly. The adjustments MUST be done when the engine is at working temperature not cool or nearly hot because when you do start work properly the engine will get hotter and it will not be tuned correctly. Never have the main adjuster set less than one turn open or you will burn the exhaust valves. If you want all this in a written form, just email me and I will send it.
John.. [email protected]
PS...that was a good video u posted and the tractor looks good, mechanically the engine sounds very good too.

Hello John!
I've printed out your messages and will keep them for reference! I will let the engine get warm and and then fine tune the carb. I may have to turn the governor rod out one more turn or maybe a half turn...then start working on adjusting the screws. The governor seems to be working good. I've been driving this tractor since I was 13 years old, used to be my dad's. I'm 56 years old now. I mowed alot of hay and alfalfa with this tractor years ago. My dad had two of these TO-30's and a couple sickle mowers. We raked hay with them also....they just did alot of work around the farm. He also had a couple Fords and a Massey-Harris-Ferguson 50 and Massey Ferguson 65....the live hydraulics was nice on the Masseys. Dad had two of everything of the essentials. Cultivators, listers, etc... The picture is of me at 12 years old on the family farm.
Tom
Tom-1964.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back