Case 1840 Skidsteer Starting Problem

WiJay

Having an issue 1840 won't start. About 2 months ago I was going to put out a few round bales for the beefers, started it up no problem, let warm up 15 minutes, got in moved about 30 ft. and it lost power couldn't get it restarted.
I left it until it warmed up, plugged the block heater in and tried starting it this past weekend and I could not get it to fire up.
I primed the fuel lines to the injectors and fuel is coming out fine.
Any ideas? What should I look at/for?
BTW: the motor was completely rebuilt about 50 hrs. ago.
Thanks, Jay

make sure your shut off valve is opening. I have a 188 diesel that the screw had came loose so when I tried to start it it would only idle. once I fixed that it ran fine.

Checked the shutoff and primed the fuel line, that's fine fuel coming out of the filter which has around 50 hrs. on it.

I know it's a PITA, and may require investment in tools, but a compression test is in order. A warm diesel, spinning over well, with good fuel and good compression will start. Even if the timing is off it'll start, may not run well but will at least pop and snort and try.

The engine has roughly 50 hrs. on a complete overhaul, always ran fine, even b4 the overhaul.
loosened the fuel lines to the injectors and there is fuel to each .

It will not even pop??
I bought this recently and not real familiar to this machine.

Could there be something electrical?

Well the solenoid to the pump is electronic.
I loosened the 4 fuel lines to the injectors and turned the engine over, fuel spurting out of all 4 lines.
this one has me stumped.

cvphoto18198.jpg

Kevin; It was the Solenoid stop switch, I had power to the switch so figured it must be the solenoid, ordered a new one and swapped it out and it fired right up.
What a pain in the butt getting it out, had to custom bend a 24mm wrench and grind away some to fit the wrench in there and get it out. That bracket on the front of the pump could have an inch cut off of it that would give a guy more room to work.

Thanks Kevin for your help.
Attached a pic of my Old Repurposed 24mm wrench
cvphoto19339.jpg

So you weren't getting fuel to the injectors, just to the pump. Had one of those solenoids go bad on a V6 GM FWD car one time, left metal filings all through the system, we figured about $10,000 to fix it. In the '90s you could buy two of those POSs for that!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back