Case 211b thermostat

Jeffs211b

New User
Can anyone tell me if a 1958 case 211b has a thermostat and if so where would it be located I got a tractor torn apart and have yet to locate one
 
As Denny said it is in the upper radiator hose. Set it down flat on top of the elbow (sensor down)and put a hose clamp just above it to hold snug it in place.

John Saeli (315) 585-9826

Joe
 

Thanks I guess whoever had this tractor didnt have one in it so I guess Ill have to get one to put in it. would this possibly be why my tractor would over heat? the first time I bushed hogged with it the tractor over heated and I spun a bearing so now I have it all tore apart trying to fix everything
 
If there is no T-stat in the hose it is not the reason for overheating the engine would run to cold. The original T-stat was a bellows type that took up considerable cross-sectional area with-in the hose. Perhaps a collapsed bellows could possibly restrict the water flow but I think a worn water pump is more likely. Even a marginally worn water pump can fail to expel the air from the pump if the radiator/block is drained as the refill only raises the water level in the pump housing about half way up the throat of the impeller and there is no coolant circulation and the engine overheats because the pump is air bound.

To get around that you can drill and tap the pump housing 1/8 npt right at the flat on the right side and thread in a plug to let the air bleed out when filling and starting the engine the first time. Fill the radiator up in the filler neck you will see water flow if pump circulating. I use a 1/8 npt x 1/4 tube fitting with cap. once the pump is vented after a fill, it will stay full unless you have a pump shaft seal leak. Use care when drilling to keep the metal chips out of the pump, A heavy sticky wheel bearing grease on the drill bit works for me. I put a vent on a new pump before installing also. Pic1 is a 310 same pump as your 211B.

If you don't have a working engine temperature gauge get one on it so you know if you're overheating before you spin a bearing.

PC2 is a service manual pic of the original bellows type T-stat mounted on the elbow in the hose. They are obsolete, being replaced by the modern amot type. If the new T-stat does not have a bleed hole, drill an 1/8 bleeder hole in the flange. If you buy one from John it will already have a vent or he will tell you where to drill it. John is very experienced in Case experienced Case equipment, that's why he gets the recommendations on this forum.

Joe

Joe
cvphoto112445.jpg


cvphoto112446.png
 
Your bearing spun first and caused the over heat. The over heat would cause problems with the pistons and rings long before it
would cause a bearing to spin.
 

Yeah that makes since so hopefully once I get bearings replaced hopefully that will take care of the tractor over heating I have found a few surprises when tearing this thing apart theres and this is the first tractor Ive ever owned so its been an learning experience
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top