Case 300B power steering repair problem

CrsB4

New User
:( I have a JICase 300B, it’s a tractor my father purchased new when I was about 9 yrs old. Last fall in early Oct I thought I would tighten up the steering and front end because of some damage to the drag link and tie rods. Seems that the tractor was used as a
bulldozer at some time and the front end couldn’t take the pounding so a fair amount of welding and other barnyard repairs had been done at some time in the long forgotten past.
So I came down with a severe case of project creep and ended up slowly dismantling piece after piece until there were tractor parts all over. Presently the tractor and parts have all been sand blasted and wire brushed to remove 61 years of grease, dirt, rust, and
old paint. Now the parts have all been cleaned, primed, painted and reinstalled.
However, here at the end I have come against a problem I can’t seem to solve so I am turning to you for help. The power steering pump and reservoir combo unit was leaking like a sieve. I removed the pump and then removed the reservoir from the pump to see
what was going on and found that an old O-ring was the faulty part. However, once apart I found on the inside a failed bearing and a scored shaft; something I cannot repair. I was directed to a pump on the Internet that was supposed to work but have come up
against a problem I can’t resolve. I will try to upload photos to help explain the problems.
The pump filler tube is pointing in the wrong direction. The nut on the rear of the pump is slightly off center so I am uncertain if loosening the nut and trying to rotate the pump body will work.

On this tractor the generator is mounted to the top of the pump on the right hand side of the tractor not on the left. If the pump body can be rotated then the generator is in the way of the pump filler spout being turned to the upright position.

If I move the generator to the left side of the tractor there is carburetor linkage that appears to be in the way.

Has anyone else out there confronted these problems and if so what have you done to solve them? Sorry for the novel but it was the only way I could think of to explain my current situation.
Thanks, Carl

cvphoto47713.jpg

cvphoto47714.jpg

cvphoto47715.jpg

cvphoto47716.jpg

Assuming the original tank won't fit...

Could you cut the neck off about midway at an angle, rotate the cap end to the desired angle and weld it back on?

Get some cardboard (TP tube), experiment with the angles first.

Thank you Steve for responding with this idea. I have considered doing what you suggest but am hesitant to do so because once I alter the pump there will be no returning it. However, I hadn't thought of building a cardboard tube mock-up first and at least that would remove a lot of doubt about moving forward. I will start working on that while watching for other thoughts and ideas. Thank you once again.

On the left side the throttle linkage is not installed correctly. The stud on the governor arm should have the ball on the top side. Don't know if it is the angle of the picture or not but the arm appears to be out of level and will be more so when moved. I am guessing there is something wrong on the carb end as well. Maybe wrong throttle shaft installed during a rebuild in the past. If you decide to move the generator I have several of the left side mounting brackets. Lee

Lee, it is not level as you observed and by moving the rod so the ball is on top it will be even more so as you stated. Is it possible for you to post a picture showing the correct position and the carburetor end attachment. I would be happy to correct the problem that you have described so the generator could possibly be moved to the left side.

Unfortunately I don't have anything disassembled far enough at this time to be able to get a decent picture. When you look at the tab on the throttle shaft it should be pointing up, probably at about a 45 degree angle, but should be up. My guess is if you look at yours it is pointing down at an angle. They don't have to be perfectly level to work but on this setup they are pretty close when everything is correct. By chance did you look to be sure you have the correct carb (TSX635). There are quite a few that will bolt to the manifold and be made to work but the linkages and or fuel lines have to be modified. This is the type of problem that sometimes arises when that is done. Lee

Ok, here is what I came up with to solve the power steering mounting problem. I've tried to include pictures to help with my explanation so if what I say here is not clear I hope the pictures will be.
First I removed the tank from the pump and found that the bolt on the rear of the tank is off center for a reason. The Bolt is an extension from the filter mounted on the interior of the tank and the filter is not centered in the tank. I ended up rotating the tank somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees and with that amount of rotation it did not appear to affect the overall mounting and sealing of the tank.
With the tank off of the pump I cut the filler neck at a 2.5 degree angle from back to front. Then rotated the filler neck 180 degrees and welded it back on, making the total angle 5 degrees.
With that angle it was enough to clear the generator and allowed the pump to be mounted in the original tank and pumps position.
I hope this will help anyone else with this or a similar problem and thank you to those who took the time to reply with thoughts and pointers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back