case 400 super diesel

Sounds like it is running on pure either. Easy fix is new filters and priming the system. Or the charge pump is not working. Pokerman bets big and says the plunger in the pump broke, and that is very bad$$$ I see your filters and raise one plunger. There is only one plunger, so all in.
Don L.
 
try removing the cover on the side of the pump where the fuel shutoff is, small cover with 2 bolts then check to see that the short rod that you can see moves easily, if not work back and forth with penetrating oil, with the throttle set about half. That happened to my 400 after sitting about 4 yrs
 
I had the plunger and cam replaced in mine a couple years ago, was around $600 just for that, PSB pumps are getting harder to find and harder to find someone who knows how to fix them.
 
when i get my 400 started it will run as long as you want just wide open i drove it four half an hour as soon as i backed off it dies so it has to be running on fuel
 
My dealings with these old diesels is pull the top cover, 4 screw and check the rod inside to see if it's in the forward position. I have run into that on some of mine if I leave them in the shut off position. I had a 58 900B that had been sitting forever and when we pulled started it, it had a runaway. After driving it awhile with brakes applied it finally went to idling ok. Then after sitting for a few weeks I couldn't get it to start again, that's when I pulled the top cover towards the back and pushed the rod ahead and I finally got smoke while cranking. Lubricate it good and you may not have that problem again. Try pulling it and throw that either away.
caseman-d
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top