Case 400 - Wide Front End Swap Carb?

Lee Brown

Hello! I have a 1956 Case 400 diesel with a narrow front, and just picked up a non-running 1956 Case 400 gas with a wide front end. Is it a simple process to swap the front ends? Also, will the Marvel-Schreiber carb on the Case 400 fit a 1966 Case 730 Comfort King?

The guy I got the 400 with the wide front says that it turns over freely but that the number one cylinder is dead. That sounded like too much work and money, so I thought I'd be better off taking the front end and some other parts for the diesel one and then selling what's left as a parts engine / machine.

Thanks for any responses and/or advice!

Don't give up on the tractor just because one cylinder is dead! it could be as simple as a bad spark plug wire, spark plug, dist cap, bent push rod, stuck valve, the list goes on. A hole in a piston is another thing, but figure it out first.

I agree get the other 400 running too. I'm leaning towards. Ent pushrods or stuck open valve which is also a simple fix.

(quoted from post at 10:37:20 06/10/18) Hello! I have a 1956 Case 400 diesel with a narrow front, and just picked up a non-running 1956 Case 400 gas with a wide front end. Is it a simple process to swap the front ends? Also, will the Marvel-Schreiber carb on the Case 400 fit a 1966 Case 730 Comfort King?

The guy I got the 400 with the wide front says that it turns over freely but that the number one cylinder is dead. That sounded like too much work and money, so I thought I'd be better off taking the front end and some other parts for the diesel one and then selling what's left as a parts engine / machine.

Thanks for any responses and/or advice!

The carb question I believe can be answered easily , the later tractors with the front mounted air cleaner mounted the carb with the inlet toward the front of the tractor vs the 400 which used a rear mounted air cleaner. the throttle shafts were on opposite sides and the choke hookup would be backwards, I use Marvels exclusively on my engine builds. the 7-830 s prior to comfort king will work, I use them exclusively on mt DC builds,excellent simple carbs to modify, build special parts for and tune. Laying the carb issue aside, I would never scrap a 400 without taking a good long look, the engines are bulletproof with any reasonable care and plenty of parts around for them. I would as the other gents suggest check the valve train for bent pushrods, valve stem rusted fast open, etc. Good luck let us know what you find.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back