Case 580B Starter Motor Casting Shearing

I changed engines (188 Diesel) in my 580B backhoe and need help with the starter motor. I was trying to start the machine for the first time and the starter motor made a serious clunk of a sound after turning over the engine for a few minutes. I pulled the starter out and found the casting around the starter motor gear that engages the flywheel sheared entirely off. In addition, the starter gear showed a lot of wear and stress. Is it possible I have the wrong starter for that machine. i.e. the gear on the starter motor is not compatible with the gearing on the flywheel? The number of teeth on the gear of the starter is 10. In fact, all three starters I have have the same number of teeth10. Any ideas?

Yes it is possible that the drive could be wrong , there was a starter mod back in the day which changed the drive housing and drive from 10 tooth to 9 tooth for better starting torque. if a unit had been modded and someone put a drive corresponding to the Delco number on the starter it would be the wrong drive.. My sincere advice to you is to go online and get a Nippondenso Gear Reduction starter off of a 580 C-D backhoe and don't look back, It will cost nearly what the Nippon will cost to repair yours and the Nippon is so much more powerful, you may have to work with your cables as hookups are in different locations and you may have to slightly bend the lines coming off the steering pump, but you will be so much more satisfied.

Is there a way I can look at the flywheel through the port where the starter motor bolts in and figure out whether it is a 10 tooth or 9 tooth flywheel?

Not with the same rear starter casting, I did many of those mods. The drive housing has to be offset the difference in the diameter of the drives to give proper mesh. I worked for a Case Dealer for 50+ years and cut my teeth on this stuff. My recommendation still stands, update to a Nippon, you will be much more satisfied. If someone is telling you either drive will work he clearly does not have a clue!

Sir: Please accept my sincere apology if it appeared I was sidestepping you good advice. I would never do that. I guess I am just trying to understand all aspects of a repair/replace situation on a machine that is 60 years old. And know, I sincerely appreciate all feedbackfor it is you good folks who teach me with your good knowledgeand I am a firm believer that experience is the best teacher. Now Sir, should I order a starter with a nine teeth or ten teeth in the pinion gear? That is what I am stuck on. Thanks and God Bless!

IF you use the Nippon as I suggest it will fit and work as there were no different Nippons as far as tooth count, on a rebuilt Delco the end housing and the drive must be a match. As I stated before, when Case did the update modification they sent a kit which included a new rear starter casting and a drive to match. Go online and Google starters for 580 C or D Diesel backhoes, they are very reasonable and vastly superior to the Delcos. I would be surprised if you can have the old starter repaired for the cost of the gear reduction Nippon.

Sir (mEI Tractor Guru)I am having great difficulty finding a Nippondenso Gear Reduction Starter off a 580C and D on google. Any suggestions as to sites. I will purchase it immediately

Doug, google ((580 C Case Nippondenso starter)), there is a refurb on there for just over 100.00 and Allstates AG has one for 140, try again just as I sent it to you, they look nothing like your old starter so do not let looks throw you!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back