Case 830 temperature?

nick831

Howdy. I put a 180 degree thermostat in my 66 830 ck com deisel. By the have it runs around 185 . Is this good or should it be running cooler? Heard of heat cracking heads? Just want it to last. I am having no troy me right now. Thanks, Nick

I have a 830 just like yours It will run 185 to 200 under no to lite load. If you put a heavy load it will run 200 to 210 . The trick is to warm them up and then cool them off each time you run them. I try to never shut it off until it cools to 180 or below.

I have a 830 just like yours It will run 185 to 200 under no to lite load. If you put a heavy load it will run 200 to 210 . The trick is to warm them up and then cool them off each time you run them. I try to never shut it off until it cools to 180 or below.
Thanks Stan, I appreciate the info. I thought maybe they might be fragile to heat so I wanted to check.

They run better warmer. Cracked heads comes from shutting them off hot. .ake sure you let it cool down for 10 minutes after hard work. Running 200 deg or more while working won't hurt at all as long as it doesn't boil over.

They run better warmer. Cracked heads comes from shutting them off hot. .ake sure you let it cool down for 10 minutes after hard work. Running 200 deg or more while working won't hurt at all as long as it doesn't boil over.
Thanks Jon. I appreciate you chiming in. I think after hearing you and Stan I feel confident everything is running as normal. Thanks again. Nick

Howdy. I put a 180 degree thermostat in my 66 830 ck com deisel. By the have it runs around 185 . Is this good or should it be running cooler? Heard of heat cracking heads? Just want it to last. I am having no troy me right now. Thanks, Nick
185 is not hot for a working diesel engine. they will be just under boiling pulling a load suited for the tractor. the secret is to idle them at 900-1000 rpm for at least 15 minute before shut down . not only case but all diesel engines that have been working. shutting them off hot the temp. climbs up higher . you wanna cr

185 is not hot for a working diesel engine. they will be just under boiling pulling a load suited for the tractor. the secret is to idle them at 900-1000 rpm for at least 15 minute before shut down . not only case but all diesel engines that have been working. shutting them off hot the temp. climbs up higher . you wanna crack a head?, then run out of fuel on a hard pull. you will hear the ting ting inside the engine.

That I did not know on the fuel. Seems it is running about the right temp anyhow. Thanks for the advice on idle shutdown. I so much appreciate the info. Nick

What everybody here is saying is true. Warmer is more efficient, and be sure to cool them down before shutting them off. BUT!! CASE Heads crack. We had a cooling problem w/ our 730CK and 1175 crowding toward 190 and it made me nervous, so I installed 160 degree T'stats. I even drilled 3/16" by-pass holes in them. Now both tractors never exceed 175 and i am satisfied w/ that.

Does that cause any issues with them running cooler John? Like moisture in engine or components? Or if running cooler anything I need to do differently as far as maintenence? Thanks John.. Nick

Does that cause any issues with them running cooler John? Like moisture in engine or components? Or if running cooler anything I need to do differently as far as maintenence? Thanks John.. Nick
Absolutely no negative consequences. Think about how much better the lubrication is with the engine running cooler. When we have a customer complaining about their engine running warmer than they like, I always encourage them to install 160 T'stats.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back