Howdy. My 1966 case 830 ck diesel is leaking power steering
badly from the rear of the box. I took the grill screens off
and checked the power steering lines and everything is dry up
front but it looks to be leaking somewhere on the back side of
the box below the crank pulley. It is very hard to see down
there. Any help would be appreciated as I am still learning
about my old Case. Anything you guys have seen that is
recurring. The power steering works great when it is full of
fluid so no issues there. Thank you in advance for any help.
Nick

After further investigation it looks like it is leaking out of the seal where the steering shaft from the steering wheel connects to the box. Is this a bad job to do?

Not too bad, everything comes out the front. Talk to external_link about the parts. Do everything as long as it's apart. You will need a book to make sure the parts are back the same. There are at least 2 different models and some part are different and make reassembly difficult. Also doing the final setting on the main nut is very precise and needs to be right or you will either have slack inbthe steering or hard steering.

Thanks so much. Is this a job that the average mechanic can do? I am not great but have wrenched along while life.

Sure, not real hard. The main valve will have several pistons in it, the count and size varies. Make sure they go back the same. Some the pins are the same and some there are slight differences. So don't mix them up. That's the part that differs depending on age. Adjusting the nut on the end requires torturing then backing off to a certain point. That's in the book. Too tight and it will steer hard, too loose and there will be slop in the steering.

Taking it apart is easy. Take off the u-joint and key. Take off the 3 front bolts and cover, then the big nut. Don't lose or break the lock washer as there are nine available. Then un-screw the shaft and pull it out.

Excellent. That sounds like I can do it. What is the procedure to remove the box if you don't mind these pesky questions. Thanks Jon. And yes I will for sure call Saily to get all the right parts.

T remove the while box you need to remove the radiator and hoses. Then take the bolts out around the box underneath and it comes out. Will likely be stuck in the housing pretty good, but just lifts out. You don't need to remove the box to replace the seal on the shaft, only if the lower seal ir shaft ends work.

Very nice. It is just the seal that goes in on top on what I would call the input shaft. Everything underneath is dry. So it does not need to be removed, just remove tin and radiator and you say I can just replace that seal without removing the box? Also when I call Saeli just tell them I need the input seal? Thanks again, this information is invaluable. Thank you! Nick

John will likely want you to take a whole kit which includes bearings and all the o-rings and seals. You will need all the o-rings and seals anyway, and new bearings will Finnish the job so you won't have issues in the future.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back