Case ( David Brown ) 1290

I use Case Hy-tran on my 1490 on everything but the engine oil. My 1490 will also not crank at all once in a while and it's always related to how the gear shift is positioned, mine is worn and somewhat sloppy and will sometimes pop completely loose, its an easy fix to remove the entire shifting knob and use a long extension bar to realign the rails into exact neutral. I have an old thread on the Case Board detailing the procedure.

B17445 was known as ETHB , a universal oil from the David Brown, Engine, Transmission, Hydraulic and Brakes. It has not been available for a long time. Your best bet is a good quality single weight engine oil and HY-Tran for the transmission and hydraulics. That being said, a good 15w-40 for the engine and a good hydraulic oil will work as a less cost alternative, Just remember you get what you pay for.

I can't find Hy Tran hydraulic fluid anywhere locally. The shipping cost is more than the Fluid.
You might put your general location in your profile, someone might be in your area and know of a source.

Read the label on most premium Universal Tractor Transmission Hydraulic Fluids at most farm stores, (even Walmart and most auto parts stores will have some), and look for it to list meeting Hy Tran requirements, John Deere J20C, Massey Ferguson Perma-Tran, or AGCO 821. Those are interchangeable in most cases and likely all listed on a premium aftermarket UTHF.

Thanks for all the help here. I got it running from everything I was told. I have a leak of trans fluid and want to fill it up but the oil that my manual says to use I can't find. What can I safely use?
dont we get to know what u found as the problem ? and what oil is the manual calling for? hydraulic, transmission oils. have different brand names

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back