Case - David Brown 990

thoner7

I'm in the market for a new Tractor. Don't know much about David Browns at all, but this popped up and would suit my needs well

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/d/windsor-case-david-brown-57-horse/6818252754.html

Are parts hard to come by? Are there issues with the selectomatoc trnas like the Fords always had? What else should I know about this model.

Selectamatic refers to the hydraulic system, transmission is a semi-syncronized 12 speed.

Parts for a 990 are easy to find, one of the most produced tractors of all time.

wow I didn't realize they were so popular. Tractor data says the David brown 990 and the case 990 are the same is that true? Like the 8n and to-20 or more similar than that even?

Would that front end be heavy duty enough for loader work?

How thirsty would the diesel be I'm hoping pretty good.

They are one of the most fuel efficient tractors ever made, my Dad bought a new 990 in 1965, his operation changed the next year so my uncle bought it, he still has it today and is used at least weekly, other than a injection pump rebuild due to his never servicing the fuel filters for over 40 years there has been nothing done to it other than oil changes and battery's, you could not give him a brand new machine for it
cnt

Dad had one for several years, great tractor. Very dependable. Only complaint he had was it was hard for him to get on and off of because of all the shift levers on the trans, didn't bother me but I was about 17 then. Its been forty years now and it may bother me today.

Wow sounds like a hidden gem. Or maybe not so hidden and I'm just in the dark lol. And seems like a good price with those attachments right?? Might be worth the 3 hr drive each way.

No for seen issues with the front end handling the loader? I won't be moving a ton of heavy stuff, just top soil, mulch manure. Fire wood. Occasionally I may lift and skid some logs with it.

(quoted from post at 08:27:08 02/28/19) Tractor data says the David brown 990 and the case 990 are the same is that true? Like the 8n and to-20 or more similar than that even?

Lots of rolling changes along the way, as they were built for 17-18 years, but the only change at the name change time was paint and stickers.

T020 and 8N only share looks, DB actually built the pre-runner to both.

Like RG said, the Selectamatic isn't even part of the tranny like Fords SelectoSpeed. 2 entirely different makes and applications. I love my 990DB. Parts are 100% easier to get than they were 2years ago. Great tractor, excellent fuel miser.

Like RG said, the Selectamatic isn't even part of the tranny like Fords SelectoSpeed. 2 entirely different makes and applications. I love my 990DB. Parts are 100% easier to get than they were 20 years ago. Great tractor, excellent fuel miser.

Great tractors! We've had one on the farm for 40+ years and she keeps ticking along like the day she came home. I loved it so much, I specifically targeted and David Brown/Case 885 as my personal tractor, which I bought this past October. IMO, the Browns are very user friendly and the 990 will keep pulling till she buries herself. Our 990 is pre-Synchromesh, but I really don't notice much difference between the (2) tractors w/ what I use them for. Keep the fluids clean & topped-off, filters changed and get an operator's manual and you should be good to go for years to come.

Like was stated before, the ONLY complaint I have is getting on and off, but it's MUCH easier on the 990 than the 885!

Hopefully, welcome to the DB Owner's club!

This tractor has everything I'm looking for, other than the loader not being mounted, so i plan to pull the trigger on it if I can after all of your glowing recommendations. Hopefully I can get it, it's about a 3hr drive from me so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out there.

The current owner says it's 88" wide....and that's as narrow as it gets. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm asking because that may not fit on my trailer!

Probably a 2 stage clutch.

The front axle will go narrower than it is in the pictures, and I would recommend moving it in all the way for maneuverability and strength with the loader.

The rears will certainly go narrower than that, he just doesn't know how. Based on what I can see from the photos, you would need to drop off the weights and switch sides on the rear tires.

(quoted from post at 13:47:38 02/28/19) Oh one other thing...... Is it a live PTO or independent? I can't seem to figure that out.[/quotthe current owner doesn't know but from what he says it sounds like a transmission connected pto

(quoted from post at 14:33:19 02/28/19) Probably a 2 stage clutch.

The front axle will go narrower than it is in the pictures, and I would recommend moving it in all the way for maneuverability and strength with the loader.

The rears will certainly go narrower than that, he just doesn't know how. Based on what I can see from the photos, you would need to drop off the weights and switch sides on the rear tires.

Tractor data lists it as a transmission style PTO with live as an option. I'm gonna get serial number to hope that helps identify?

Tractor data isn't perfect, and in a case like this with so many running changes, it is especially lacking.

I have never seen one that new that didn't have the 2 stage clutch(PTO stays live if you push down the clutch half way, stops if you push all the way). On the very earliest 990s a single clutch was an option, but very uncommon.

(quoted from post at 05:05:11 02/28/19) Selectamatic refers to the hydraulic system, transmission is a semi-syncronized 12 speed.

Parts for a 990 are easy to find, one of the most produced tractors of all time.

How does the shifting work with all those ranges?

(quoted from post at 23:46:59 02/28/19)

The left stick is high range in forward, and low when pulled back. An underdrive is engaged by pushing the stick to the left and forward while in either of those ranges.

The right stick is a 1-2-3-R in an "H" pattern.

(quoted from post at 20:46:59 02/28/19)
(quoted from post at 05:05:11 02/28/19) Selectamatic refers to the hydraulic system, transmission is a semi-syncronized 12 speed.

Do you mean the transmission or the hydraulics? The transmission is (4) ranges, H, HS, L, LS with (3) gears and reverse in each range. There is a gear shift for both the range and gear selection on top of the transmission, between the operators feet.

The hydraulics have a selector switch to the right of the operator's station with (3) functions. Depth control, Height control & Traction control/external. Depending on the task @ hand, you choose which setting you need. The 3-point lift is controlled like any other tractor, w/ a sliding control lever/quadrant on your right. The Owner's manual will describe this better than I. If you click the following link, go to the Information heading, scroll down to Selectamatic Hydraulic System, there is an in-depth article explaining probably more than you will ever need to know about the system.

https://dbtc.co.uk/?page_id=1644[url]

They?re Brits so you have to stop for tea at mid afternoon.
Outside of that we won?t be disappointed. My only complaint is
my size 13 shoes don?t easily fit getting on and off.

So this tractor comes with a loader but it's off of a John Deere (he said a 2110?) But he has never had it fully installed. The one photo shows the back end mounted to the frame and he sent me pictures of the front brackets he had made to Mount to the front.

I'm worried about getting the hydraulics connected and if they would be too slow. Now he currently has a snow plow on it which has hydraulic lift and angle, so there are remotes up front.

I'm just not familiar with installing a "custom" loader to know what exactly I will need.

"Slow" is a relative thing in loaders on farm tractors of that age. It's not like it's going to be as fast as an industrial loader or a new tractor with a much larger hyd pump, but it's going to be a lot faster than a shovel! I don't know how to describe the speed. It seems pretty reasonable to me on my 990, but your cylinders, control valves and hoses may be completely different.

I'd be a little leery if he's never had it hooked up, but there are more important things I'd worry about, like tire condition.

So I'm on my way home now. The tractor had done issues. It was blowing some white smoke, intermittently. I'm not sure if the motor was warm enough for this to be or not be an issue. What do you think?

There was also a little oil leak that may have been coming from where the engine mates with the trans. The clutch inspection cover was missing and I didn't notice any problems with that.

The right brake was seized up and wouldn't budge even when trying to hammer it. The pedels were also bent and locked together, so the wheel brakes wouldn't work independently. Not sure why they were seized together?

It also looked like some oil was leaking from a silver inspection cover on the right side of the motor?

O also do not like the spring loaded throttle! I like to set it and leave it there!

Any input on these issues??

(quoted from post at 19:26:26 03/05/19) So I'm on my way home now. The tractor had done issues. It was blowing some white smoke, intermittently. I'm not sure if the motor was warm enough for this to be or not be an issue. What do you think? White smoke could be water vapor, steam. Could be from a leaky head gasket or condensation in the fuel lines if it hasn't been run in a while. Fuel quality can do it to a degree too I'm told.

There was also a little oil leak that may have been coming from where the engine mates with the trans. The clutch inspection cover was missing and I didn't notice any problems with that. Gotta find out if it's a leak of a little blow by. Blow by in an older diesel is a given IME and not a deal breaker if the price is right.

The right brake was seized up and wouldn't budge even when trying to hammer it. The pedels were also bent and locked together, so the wheel brakes wouldn't work independently. Not sure why they were seized together? Probably a guy that slowed down using the throttle. Brakes are a paint o service on these, on the MF too. They don't get used and they stop working. You have to pull the drive housing on both to repair IIRC.

It also looked like some oil was leaking from a silver inspection cover on the right side of the motor? Blow by?

O also do not like the spring loaded throttle! I like to set it and leave it there! There is an adjustment under the lever for that.

b:75e0f19b25]

All depends on which you like better for the prices asked. It's your money.[/b:75e0f19b25]

(quoted from post at 19:26:26 03/05/19) So I'm on my way home now. The tractor had done issues. It was blowing some white smoke, intermittently. I'm not sure if the motor was warm enough for this to be or not be an issue. What do you think? [b:ce00ce8930]White smoke could be water vapor, steam. Could be from a leaky head gasket or condensation in the fuel lines if it hasn't been run in a while. Fuel quality can do it to a degree too I'm told.[/b:ce00ce8930]

There was also a little oil leak that may have been coming from where the engine mates with the trans. The clutch inspection cover was missing and I didn't notice any problems with that. [b:ce00ce8930]Gotta find out if it's a leak of a little blow by. Blow by in an older diesel is a given IME and not a deal breaker if the price is right.
[/b:ce00ce8930]
The right brake was seized up and wouldn't budge even when trying to hammer it. The pedels were also bent and locked together, so the wheel brakes wouldn't work independently. Not sure why they were seized together?[b:ce00ce8930] Probably a guy that slowed down using the throttle. Brakes are a paint o service on these, on the MF too. They don't get used and they stop working. You have to pull the drive housing on both to repair IIRC.[/b:ce00ce8930]

It also looked like some oil was leaking from a silver inspection cover on the right side of the motor? [b:ce00ce8930]Blow by?[/b:ce00ce8930]

O also do not like the spring loaded throttle! I like to set it and leave it there! [b:ce00ce8930]There is an adjustment under the lever for that.[/b:ce00ce8930]

b:ce00ce8930]

All depends on which you like better for the prices asked. It's your money.[/b:ce00ce8930]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back