Case IH 585

LarryBud

Hi Folks,

I posted a week or so ago looking for advice on the best tractor for me. I appreciated the comments and I may have found a candidate.

I'm looking at a Case IH 585. The 60 HP is in my target window. While this one has a bucket, My primary use for the machine will be mowing 20 or so acres.

I call the local Case IH Dealer ( 20 mile away ) and the parts department said they have ready access to parts for this machine. It has the Case IH 4 cylinder diesel engine and was made in England of all places. 1002 Hours on the clock.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by LarryBud on 10/19/2022 at 10:57 am.

I had a CaseIH 585 that I bought new in 1987, my brother still has it today. They are a 52hp tractor, came with I believe a 11 or12 hon hydraulic pump standard, but were also available with a 20gpm hydraulic system and a shuttle shift. Also came in either 4wd or 2wd models. My tractor was 2wd with the standard hydraulic system and the CaseIH 2200 loader. The CaseIH 2250 loader was a quick attach model.
These are a very nimble tractor, with good range of gear selection and synchronized transmission also , a nice feature.
There is perhaps a few things that were considered slight drawbacks on these tractors. One thing to watch for is the fact the CaseIH 585 tractor had one common hydraulic fluid contained in the one reservoir. And the problem with this is that it can occur that the parking brake and the regular brakes as they wear away the material can contaminate the hydraulic oil. Another issue with these tractors is the hydraulic oil becomes very hot. The tractors have a hydraulic oil cooler in front of the radiator, and keeping these coolers clean is a must. I would strongly recommend that if you buy this tractor, you should only use the CaseIH Hytran hydraulic oil, because this Hytran oil can better tolerate the higher operating temperature, and has additives in it that will not cause destruction of the brake pads.
These were a very popular tractor, and were the very same tractor as the IH 584 , which was built before CaseIH became one company, so many many thousands of these tractors had been built. One cation, while using this tractor, keep your foot off of the clutch pedal unless you are going to depress the clutch. The two most common repairs on these tractors are replacing the brakes and changing the clutch, both can be attributed to the operator habits.

Look at the injection pump, if the throttle lever is on TOP, it's a Bosch VE pump and parts are available. If the throttle lever and stop lever are on the SIDE, it's the Bosch hydraulic governed Bosch VA pump that has NO parts support for anymore.

Neighbour owned since new/we had use of a 1979 ish 4wd 584 and a 1985ish 2wd 585, both the shuttle shift models. Very nice little utility tractors. The 584 broke its hour meter in 1990 or so with 9000 hours or something on it. We estimated it had something like 14,000 hours when it was sold around 2007. I saw its been sold at least twice since with more wear each time in the photos. They had 484's before these two with similar good luck.

If it gets lots of loader use the clutch doesn't last super long but was cheap to change.

The 584 had a leak in the suction tube for the hydraulics so it needed the transmission overfilled to not suck air. The 584 had worn synchros so didn't shift as well. The 585 only had 2000ish hours on it, shifted slick as could be, beautiful to drive.

There's a valve that did priority for the steering that gave trouble once. It did also damage the zf front axle input flange when it was older from using 4wd on pavement during snowplowing. Rest was just starters and alternators and fuel filters.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back