VKCAKC23

New User
My pto will only work when I go a certain speed. Any
slower or in neutral the pto wont move. When I try to
shift the pto into gear the lever will not move. Any
ideas? The mechanic said it is the pto gear froze up.
Ever heard of that?

As a retired mechanic, I used to ask people, If you don't want to believe me, why did you ask in the first place? He can only make an educated guess, from past experience. Sometimes you have to open them up to actually see what's wrong!!

Hello VK welcome to YT! To add to what Skipper is saying I will attach the manufacturers parts diagram of the PTO system of your tractor. I will also say that I know zero about your actual tractor and have no experience with one. That PTO clutch would be a dry clutch meaning that it does not operate in oil. Generally manufacturers allow for an access plate to be able to have at least some ability to see what kind of problem you may have. Looking at the other parts diagrams it does not look like they did this on your tractor. I also watched a video on your tractor model showing the operation of it. It looks like it has an unusual PTO system. The system looks like it is made so you have a disconnect lever so when you are not using the PTO you take it out of gear and then the PTO clutch is engaged so that the PTO clutch throw out bearing (parts 4,8 & 9) is not always holding the PTO clutch in the disengaged position. You may not know what I am talking about but others will understand. Did you read the operators manual for your tractor and follow the directions? What does the yellow warning sticker by the PTO clutch lever say? I do not know what other tasks you use this tractor for but if you will not be using the PTO for say 5 minutes the lever should be disengaged and the PTO clutch lever should be down releasing the pressure off the PTO throwout bearing. If this is not followed the PTO throwout bearing will likely have premature failure which I am thinking has happened to yours. I am basing what I am telling you by what I see in the attached video at 5:10. I am not going to take the time to figure out which diagram shows the disconnect gears but you are welcome to. Essentially what I am saying is that none of us have x-Ray vision so we cannot see what is happening inside, so the only way to do it is to open the tractor up.
CNHI CIH JX65 online parts catalog

Operating video

If the PTO lever won't move, how does it work AT ALL? Let alone, when you "go a certain speed."

Also by "certain speed" do you mean engine speed or ground speed? What speed is the "certain speed?"

Ground speed. Im confused by all of this. Lever wont
budge even when I get under the Tractor and push
lever with my foot yet it turns and cuts grass when
going fast enough.

He is scheduled to do so soon but I have people telling me all kinds of things. Im going with his recommendation because he is the only one with a remedy. Everyone else doesnt say how to fix it.Thanks! I didnt mean to sound like I didnt trust him.

I do not know if you will be able to understand this if you are not very mechanical. Look at the diagram I have attached. In proper repair since it has an independent PTO that drives when engaged no matter what other functions you are using. The PTO has to keep driving no matter if the tractor is stopped or in gear whatever. So it needs its own shaft from the engine to transfer that power. There is nowhere else for a shaft to be placed in the transmission from front to back because all the transmission gearing is in the way. So they run the PTO shafts through hollow shafts used for the transmission gears. My best GUESS is that a bearing that separates the two allowing the PTO to spin inside of the gearing shaft has failed. So now when the transmission shaft spins when the tractor moves so does the inner PTO shaft. I have no idea why the other lever does not move if you are talking about the clutch lever I put in the other link. But if it is the short engagement lever that is shown in the video will not move then it could very well be linked to the seized bearing or shaft I was referring to above. Things break it is a factor of all machines built by humans. I like to use this saying ..I you want to play, you have to pay.. Good luck!
Another diagram

Glad to be of help. Sometimes it becomes difficult to convey what is trying to be explained, in particular when the receiving party seems to not want to accept it. If I had just worked on the PTO system of one of those last week I probably could have been way more informative, but I have never seen on in person let alone worked on one. To you a 10 year or so old tractor maybe considered a Yesterdays Tractor. In reality the tractors discussed here are more like 40 years old and up to over a hundred. So it is not surprising that many on here know very little about a newer tractor like yours. However, how a lot of the systems work have the same basic principles. I will end by saying it is expensive to own and maintain a tractor especially if you are not capable of doing any of the major repairs.

Flying belgian, he is telling us what point he is at now. He does not really tell us much about the symptoms or how it acted up to this point. He just seems steamed that the repair bill will be big, or at least that is how I see it. He seems to be somewhat agreeable to my explanation in my other reply if you have taken the time to read that. That is what my take is on what MAY be happening to make it act as it does currently. I never ask him if he check the lube level in the gear case. Not sure about this Turkish tractor but most tractors these days use the transmission and gear case as the hydraulic reservoir so the hydraulics usually quit working before the system gets to dangerously low.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back