case loader , 4cyl diesel

rod babbit bearing went bad. The tractor is 1955 and too old to have fixed. Does anybody know if a leather bearing can do the job and if so what do I use and how to put it in? I have the pan down and access to the rod, only one bearing is bad.
 
I've heard all kinds of old tales about leather strips being used as bearing inserts in old, low compression, low speed car engines. Apprently this did work, at least for a while.

I REALLY have a hard time imagining a leather bearing would last very long in a DIESEL, though!
 

hi jack, i've heard of that being done in the model T & A ford days, never really new how long it would work-not long i'm sure--there are people who re-pour/exchange babbit rods, but you're saying the crank is probably real bad. are you sure about the year??-typo? I didn't think babbit rods were 'in' in 1955. would like to know tractor series--paul
 
Living in the 50"s etc in small-town NM and AZ (and sometimes in no-town places!) I knew older people who"d done just that...but only on the then older really low-compression engines that they drove as slowly and easily as possible. I"d side with Bob: anything with even 50"s/60"s compression wouldn"t hold one, and a diesel?? not a chance...
(Now, of course, someone will prove me wrong, but that"s why we post here: to learn things!).
Possibly another drop-in engine, rather than re-do the crankshaft etc???
 
In the '50s, there was an ole fellow with model T lived in town (pop 50). He swore by bacon rind for rod bearings. Pan only had about 4 bolts in it most of the time was generally laying on the running board when the car was parked in his shed.

Everyone in town called him Uncle Frank. He was about 90, only drove a few hundred yards to church & back each Sunday. Car didn't have a starter.

Uncle Frank was the first one out the door at the end of the service, hand cranking that old T. If it didn't start right up, he would stomp circles around it swearing at it.

The rest of the congregation (maybe 20 tops) would be standing around the church steps, shaking hands with each other and the preacher.

Uncle Frank is stomping around cursing 20 ft away. Everyone is pretending they can’t hear him, but I'll tell you to a young boy, his repertoire of bad words, endurance, and delivery was just fascinating.

Then we got a new preacher, young guy, first job I think. Real cool. After witnessing one of Uncle Frank’s performances the last sentence of the closing prayer became “…. and please GOD, make Uncle Frank’s car start on the first crank, AMEN".....everyone there would yell AMEN.

Didn't help one bit. Sheeeesh, so much for the power of prayer.

Joe
 

hi joe[wa] ha-- i guess uncle frank had it all figured out--#1-he was 90 years old & still going to church-- #2- he new how to fix his old model 'T' to get there--#3 he had the support of the preacher & all members, in spite of his exit--maybe someone was praying for him-------- So much for the power of prayer.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top