Case SC Valve issues

I’m new to this forum but I’ve often found good information here. A couple months ago I bought a 1949 Case SC that had been sitting for decades in a shed. Of course the engine was stuck. I did get the piston freed up by using the 30% white vinegar voo-doo.
Anyways, one of the things I found is that one of the exhaust springs was busted near the top. I thought no big deal, just get another spring. Yah, right! The exhaust springs in my tractor had the roto retainers and the exhaust and intake springs are different. I recently went to a tractor graveyard that had a couple SC tractors. The one that still had a head on it was a 1948. When we took the valve cover off, it was a total rust bucket but I was able to get a couple push rods out that I wanted but I noticed that all the valve springs and retainers were the same.
This leads me to believe that 1949-1954 SC had this type of exhaust valve spring setup. Someone may be able to confirm this or set me straight. I have not been able to find this type of spring that has a different diameter on the top than the bottom. Any help finding one will be appreciated. Attached are pictures of the intake and exhaust springs and there dimensions.

Attachments

• IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6794.jpeg
    IMG_6794.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
I agree with most of the posters on the valve spring issue. I would also look for intake leaks on that cylinder and what about the valve guide area and the valve stem (bent, worn etc.)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back