Case vs CaseIH

rrlund

When would CaseIH have made a piece of equipment with a Case serial tag? I'm talking about a tag with this logo on
it.

cvphoto162797.jpg

I bought a CaseIH 881 chopper for parts this spring. My older 881 just has IH decals and an IH tag. They were an IH
chopper, not a Case. This one that I bought has CaseIH decals like my smaller 781 has. That Case tag is riveted on
the frame base where the tongue slides in and pivots. I just noticed it today when I was taking a tire off of it.

I don't know. It's kind of faded and banged up, but it's orange, doesn't have IH on it, it just has that logo. Maybe they were just so cheap that they wouldn't even toss out a few tags if they could still stamp numbers in it. I'd have to wonder how those tags even got to the factory? If I'm not mistaken, you could buy an IH 881 as a New Idea model 600 or something like that. I know there was one or two models of IH choppers made by New Idea. I was thinking it was the 781 and 881.

There were also Ford choppers that were IH or New Idea. Did IH build for New Idea or the other way? I have even seen a few NI square balers that were just orange IH's. Tom

New Idea built IH hay and forage until NI bought White Farm Equipment from Allied, but I don't know if NI built the choppers. It might have been part of the deal that NI could sell the IH choppers through NI dealers. The 781 CaseIH was just an updated IH 720 wasn't it? So IH might have kept building the choppers and NI built the hay tools.

After that New Idea buyout of White, Hesston supplied the CaseIH hay tools. I bought a new Hesston 1120 mower conditioner and it was available as a CaseIH too. I think it would have been a CIH 8320 or something like that. Hesston did sell a chopper, but I don't think that one was ever available as a CaseIH. Hesston took over production of the Oliver balers during the White debacle, but I don't know where the New Idea CaseIH baler came from.

IH sold the hay and forage equipment line around 1982 to keep the rest of IH afloat. The 720 forage harvester was designed by IH and built at the Hamilton, ONT plant. It was introduced in 1976. The neighbor to the south of me bought one new in 1978.

1970 until 1985.

Probably your chopper was from 1985, after Tenneco bought IH, but before they figured out what the new log would be.

This post was edited by RGMartin on 09/09/2023 at 05:50 am.

OK, thanks. My 881 that just has the black stripe International decals has a tag that says International Harvester
Hamilton Ontario. The tag is missing, just the rivets there, on the Case IH 781.

Immediately post merger for sure.

Case had a hate on for IH, so you can bet they used up old JI Case plates and tossed the left over IH ones.

Same reason there was a JI Case eagle emblem in the steering wheel of IH design tractors post merger.

Tag on the 2200 loader here has JI Case & Tenneco on it. Loader was brand new several YEARS after the merger and has Case International decals on it. 2200 is 100% an IH loader.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back