catalytic converters

In most states if the car or truck came out with one then yes you need to have one on it. I know in Missouri if your car had one when new it will not pass inspection and no inspection on license plate. Which has to do with fed rial pollution laws
Hobby farm
 
Converters are geeting to be like gold anymore. Scrappers give ya $100-150 depending on size . Thieves are hitting rental and used car lots with battery sawzall and making off with lots of them .
 
I have to imagine why in the HEIL would someone want to steal a USED catalytic converter??? They're hard to get off and besides, if there is a car that has 50,000 miles or more on it, it's about half shot! Cats get plugged up with carbon over time, and then they are no longer usable.

Which leads me to another thing. I never buy cats - I just take them off, and gut them. I passed emissions inspection by doing so, as my innards were blocking the exhaust flow. Not to mention the horsepower recovered by gutting the cat.
 
They don't want them to use.... they want them to sell for scrap. They're chocked full of precious metals.

Our local Converter salvage operation got hit one night a while back and the guys made off with a small utility trailer loaded with scrap platinum and rhodium ....... a mere $600,000 worth!!!
 
Not to be purposely controversial, but I have seen only 1 bad catalytic converter in 20 years of their existence. It was bad in that it had a rattle that you could hear from 200 feet. Many others I cut open and no sign of plugging. If your car has a problem like excessive rich mixture, I think they will plug. If only the rest of the car lasted like cats, we'd be in good shape.
 
You're kidding? they put precious metals in there? so this means that you'd have to have quite a few cats to steal before you'd make some money, right?
 
Old,
Has MO changed the Inspection Law. At one time 1980 and up had to have a cat to pass. I know because we had a 1979 Cutlass with the cat cut-off, it plugged up, and I had no problem passing the incpection except one time the inspector thought the car was a 1980.

Kent
 
Not at all, they are worth big bucks. Had an old one laying around from an old ford my grandfather had and I took it in for scrap. They looked at it, said it was good, and gave me 50 dollars. Plus, old car batteries are going for 6 bucks a piece at the scrap yard too.
 
Yes, you need to keep the cat on if the vehicle had it when you bought it, which all do these days. Now, scrapping a car, you are crazy if you dont sell the cat separate from the vehicle. It is the metal platinum they are after, which is at top dollar now, and a cat can be worth 50 to 200 bucks at the scrap yard. Its not just junk in them, platinum is worth a lot of money now.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top